Client cannot access Web Pro using HTTP pump RRS feed

• Question

• We created a HTTP msmdpump.dll solution for our client's extranet ProClarity solution, when client's users access reports via the web pro, web pro windows comes up and asks for username and password. After entering the credentials almost all the users except 2 can access the reports via web pro.

But 2 users get the following message after they enter their credentials.

“Could not log in to the “http://webservername/olap/msmdpump.dll’ server. Please check the user name and password and try again.

The fact that it works for majority of users makes me believe whatever is not working is client related.

Error receiving computers are:

Windows 2000 with latest service pack and with IE 6  

The other one is Windows XP SP 2 with IE 7

One Interesting info, when you fire up the web pro and decline to access any books instead go to file-> open-> cube, it asks the server name which I enter http://webservername/olap/msmdpump.dll   and use the same user name and password that was failing during access to any book through pump and It connects to the cube and let me access to the data no problem.

I disabled windows firewall, antivirus system on these machines also made sure IE settings are exactly like all the other clients that are working.  I don’t know what else to check or change.

Underlying setup is below.

There are two servers: WEBSERVER and DBSERVER. WEBSERVER is in DMZ. DBSERVER is behind the firewall.

WEBSERVER IIS setting for pump is ONLY Basic Authentication

Msmdpump.ini file Server tag points to DBSERVER

On all books and libraries

Server Name: http://WEBSERVER/olap/msmdpump.dll

Local server name: DBSERVER

Also on the Proclarity_PAS database server map table I have an entry says

Local server name: DBSERVER

Server Name: http://WEBSERVER/olap/msmdpump.dll

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, both machines can connect to OLAP cube via Excel's Pivot Table also can use the Web pro to connect the cube.  I fixed one of the machines this morning. The client had a proxy server. All users except the failing machine have “the report web site” IP as an exception on proxy settings. So everybody’s computer was working because they were by passing the proxy server, the one laptop that was giving me the failing credentials didn’t have that exception entry. Once I entered that it worked.  I am going to troubleshoot the other machine tomorrow again (Windows 2000). I hope there is a proxy server there too that don’t know about.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help

Ali

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:09 PM

All replies

• If everyone but two users are working, then I would focus on security preventing these two users.  First, I would make sure they have NTFS permissions to the IIS virtual directory that hosts the dll and the dll itself.  Also, I would try connecting Pro to the virtual directory itself or the msolap.asp file and see if that makes any difference. 

Finally, what other differences might these two users have?  Different domains?  VPN connections?  IE settings?

-Joey

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:26 PM
  • First Thanks for responding. I will try to respond to your comments. I can use the same credentials (username and password) from those non working client computers and use them in another computer I can access everything without problem. Therefore I don’t think the problem is their credential  maybe their computer.

I didn’t understand what you were referring “connecting Pro to the virtual directory” but I can connect to the cube itself using web pro from that problem computer using the same credentials. When I try to click a report link of the book it asks login and fails. 

Last, no difference that I can think. Same IE settings like all working client machines, no vpn connection is involved, and all users are using the same domain generated usernames.

Do you think .NET framework version will make a difference?

Thanks

Ali 

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Hi Ali,

Can the two problem machines connect to the OLAP cube (msmdpump.dll file) via Excel's Pivot Table Services?  If not, then we can safely assume it is a client connectivity issue rather than a user credentials issue.  Not positive if the .NET framework has anything to do with the issue.  You might want to re-register the msolap90.dll file on the two problematic machines and see if that helps.

HTH,

Amanda

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, both machines can connect to OLAP cube via Excel's Pivot Table also can use the Web pro to connect the cube.  I fixed one of the machines this morning. The client had a proxy server. All users except the failing machine have “the report web site” IP as an exception on proxy settings. So everybody’s computer was working because they were by passing the proxy server, the one laptop that was giving me the failing credentials didn’t have that exception entry. Once I entered that it worked.  I am going to troubleshoot the other machine tomorrow again (Windows 2000). I hope there is a proxy server there too that don’t know about.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help

Ali

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Thanks for updating this post, Ali.  Glad to hear you found the culprit and thanks for sharing the information with the rest of us.

Regards,

Amanda

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:38 PM