Enforce initial project baseline? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I was just asked this question and have been unable to find a definitive answer: is there a way to force a project baseline to be created when the project is saved/published initially? I don't know that there is, and it could potentially be problematic since I've heard of people saving local MPPs and using the initial Baseline (or even Baseline1) prior to publishing to Project Server - we use Project and PS 2007, by the way. Of course that is not best practice but I wondered if Microsoft had done anything to allow baseline automation, at least initially. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hi TresL,

Baseline automation is not available out-of-the-box and is something you will have to develop. But the key word is training. Define a process everyone has to follow and make sure every user receives the necessary training. In addition, using configuration and development, you can enforce (parts of) this process.

Project Server 2007 security can be defined in a way that would save you already lots of troubles. You can define security in a way so that project managers cannot save a protected baseline (Baseline 0-5) themselves). It's not a good practice to allow people to save a locally created project into project server. You can enforce this by not granting them the right to save new projects into project server.
    Of course, you will need to define a PMO-like role that will be responsible for creating projects and setting baselines.

Using client side development (macro's or VSTO), you could check on every save or publish if a baseline has been saved, maybe based on a custom field value indicating the status of the schedule (approved vs not approved, etc...). You can even prevent them from publishing the project if no baseline has been set.

Be careful though! While automation can be useful to enforce some policies, too much automation, or badly implemented automation can be very contra-productive as it might get in the way of they day-to-day planning job of your PM's.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi TresL,

Baseline automation is not available out-of-the-box and is something you will have to develop. But the key word is training. Define a process everyone has to follow and make sure every user receives the necessary training. In addition, using configuration and development, you can enforce (parts of) this process.

Project Server 2007 security can be defined in a way that would save you already lots of troubles. You can define security in a way so that project managers cannot save a protected baseline (Baseline 0-5) themselves). It's not a good practice to allow people to save a locally created project into project server. You can enforce this by not granting them the right to save new projects into project server.
    Of course, you will need to define a PMO-like role that will be responsible for creating projects and setting baselines.

Using client side development (macro's or VSTO), you could check on every save or publish if a baseline has been saved, maybe based on a custom field value indicating the status of the schedule (approved vs not approved, etc...). You can even prevent them from publishing the project if no baseline has been set.

Be careful though! While automation can be useful to enforce some policies, too much automation, or badly implemented automation can be very contra-productive as it might get in the way of they day-to-day planning job of your PM's.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:33 PM
  • HansH,

Thank you for that informative response! I will have to check on the custom-dev approach you mention.

Also, I'm curious about the general notion not to save locally created projects onto Project Server - aside from local vs. enterprise resources and calendars (if local is used), what are the concerns with this? I'm not saying we want to do this, just want to understand the problems that may result. 

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:18 PM