Windows 2012 R2 - Dell PowerEdge R810 - Slow Network Performance RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed 2012 R2 (RTM, from MSDN) to a Dell R810 server.

When transfereing files from and to the server, transfer speeds are very slow (20mbs average).

All server firmware and drivers are fully up to date.

The server includes both Broadcom and Intel NICs, I have tried connecting the network to both adaptors and have witnessed the same level of performance.

I did come across some historical suggestions (from 2012) to disable TCP offload, RSS etc on the NIC in use.  I tried these settings without success. 

Our network team have ruled out any infrastructure related issues.

To further test I installed Server 2012 on the same physical server and performed the same file transfer tests.  The slow performance issue was not present.

In addition, I installed performed the above tests on a different R810 server with the same results.

I have a number of 2012 R2 virtual machines (running on Hyper V) elsewhere in our estate which have never displayed this issue.

This all points to something in R2 (driver/firmware compatibility etc) in relation to the Dell hardware which appears to be causing the issue.

Has anyone else come across this behaviour?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:36 PM

All replies

• I get the same results with the Windows 2012 non R2 version. I see a lot of retransmits and resets and they appeat to come from the host. I also have added the Intel NICs and get the same behavior. I wonder if this could be a issue with the Rise BUS or something on some other component.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:26 AM
  • I have installed 2012 R2 (RTM, from MSDN) to a Dell R810 server.

When transfereing files from and to the server, transfer speeds are very slow (20mbs average).

All server firmware and drivers are fully up to date.

The server includes both Broadcom and Intel NICs, I have tried connecting the network to both adaptors and have witnessed the same level of performance.

I did come across some historical suggestions (from 2012) to disable TCP offload, RSS etc on the NIC in use.  I tried these settings without success. 

Our network team have ruled out any infrastructure related issues.

To further test I installed Server 2012 on the same physical server and performed the same file transfer tests.  The slow performance issue was not present.

In addition, I installed performed the above tests on a different R810 server with the same results.

I have a number of 2012 R2 virtual machines (running on Hyper V) elsewhere in our estate which have never displayed this issue.

This all points to something in R2 (driver/firmware compatibility etc) in relation to the Dell hardware which appears to be causing the issue.

Has anyone else come across this behaviour?

Hello!

I have the same issue that Dicki.

I have installed the OS in a virtual machine and when i access a shared folder or a network site the traffic is too low.

I have installed the OS five times, alway with the same results.

The OS is installed in a virtual machine with VMware 10.0 in a Windows Server 2012 host.

In the virtual machine i tried configure the network card, update the NIC drivers, chimnet, offload, rss... and nothing.

I have installed the VMware Tools in the virtual machine.

My version of Windows Server 2012 R2 is the RTM.

Best regards!

xD

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:52 AM