none
Protecting Exchange 2007 SP3 CCR cluster with DPM 2012SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an Exchange 2007 SP3 CCR cluster that I was backing up with (originally) DPM 2007 and then 2010 with no issues.  I built a new DPM2012 SP1 environment and am attempting to protect that same data.  Client installation went fine, but when I try to protect the Exchange storage groups, I get the following error:

"One or more prerequisites for protecting this data source is missing.
    Ensure that the following prerequisite software is installed on aewccrmbx01.AEWCCRCLUS01.AEW.COM and/or all nodes in the cluster:

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with Knowledge Base article 940349 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=99034)
            - OR -
    Windows Server 2008 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128812)
    Update Rollup 4 for Exchange Server 2007 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=99291) or later

ID: 31304"

Given how old that hotfix is, I'm fairly confident that I have it rolled up in a service pack - our Exchange environment is patched more or less up to date.    Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

Monday, July 8, 2013 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi.

That was the only trick I had, please open a support ticket for further troubleshooting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by BramG Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM simply does a WMI query to see if the prerequisite kb articles are installed, if the kb is not in the list of installed kb's, you get the error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Right, but that specific KB was rolled up into SP2, which was superseded by SP3, which is what I'm running.  So I'm not able to install that KB because a more recent patch/rollup has already been applied.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

What operating system are you running ?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Server 2008 x64 Enterprise.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:15 PM
  • H,

Please run the following SQL query and tell me what it returns for each node.

Replace PS_FQDN with the FQDN of each cluster node.

Select ServerAttributes from  tbl_am_installedagent
    Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = 'PS_FQDN')

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:48 PM
  • For both nodes, it returned ServerAttributes row 1 with value of 27.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Please make a backup of the DPMDB by running: DPmbackup -db

Run the following script for using FQDN of each node.

Update tbl_am_installedagent
    Set ServerAttributes = 31
    Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = ‘PS_FQDN’)

After running this SQL Script try creating the PG, do not refresh the agents before adding them to PG.

Note that this field will be reverted back again by the 30 min refresh job, but should not affect protection for data sources already being protected.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thanks! I tried it, but unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same error.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Hi.

That was the only trick I had, please open a support ticket for further troubleshooting.

• Marked as answer by BramG Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Will do.  Thanks for the help, I appreciate the effort!
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Issue was resolved.

There were two issues:

1. The Exchange Virtual Name was showing up in the list of installed agent under managements/alerts tab.

This means that when DPM was running inquiry to check which data sources we could protect from that cluster, it wasn't able to query WMI with that name thus we ended up getting the error related to missing updates. To resolve this problem we remove that Exchange Virtual name out of the list of installed agents.

2. Somehow Cluster service was failing and depending on the cluster state DPM wasn't able to inquiry of Exchange resources.

Once those two issues were addressed Exchange protection was created just fine.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, July 12, 2013 4:51 AM