none
How does it work when I update a task on MS Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have been using “Reschedule uncompleted work to start after” with “Status date” to bring back tasks on resource that are stuck in the past (use of Timesheets for the actual work). What is the rule redistributing the “Remaining work” after the “Status Date” ? 
    Updating on a project scale leaves the graphical representation of the remaining work with a bump at the “Status date”. 
    It is as if the remaining work were spread just on a short duration after the “Status date”, instead of being leveled over the whole remaining duration of the task … On the other hand, the finish date is often moved after this operation, letting me believe the remaining task might have been shifted in time. Which of these behaviors is used by the tool? 
    Is there parameters in the tool that sets the behavior of “Update project” ? Some of my project manager would like to have a task in “fixed duration” not having the finish date to be modified by the update (due date is sacred, they want to show that the unit is increasing on the resource) … therefore the remaining work coming from the past should be leveled over the whole task…

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Laurent,

Basically if you update the remaining work after the status date, Project will just move it as is. Meaning it will keep the same work per period and drag it after the status date. It will often result in changing the duration through the finish date.

See this example. I have 0.5 day late on friday before the status date (red line) :

If I update the remaining work after the status date (even with a fixed duration task), it will push forward the work, keeping the same contour. The task was 1d late, so it will finish 1 day later.

You do have a setting in the options/schedule, "Split in progress Task" which I think will not help you since it will not reschedule the work before the status date. Note also that setting a date constraint "must finish on" and "finish no later than" will not prevent Project to rechedule the remaining work after the constraint date.

Thing is that Project cannot know what behavior you are expecting from it. Changing the work leveling could cause overallocation, so Project keeps the leveling as it was before the rescheduling.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Laurent,

Basically if you update the remaining work after the status date, Project will just move it as is. Meaning it will keep the same work per period and drag it after the status date. It will often result in changing the duration through the finish date.

See this example. I have 0.5 day late on friday before the status date (red line) :

If I update the remaining work after the status date (even with a fixed duration task), it will push forward the work, keeping the same contour. The task was 1d late, so it will finish 1 day later.

You do have a setting in the options/schedule, "Split in progress Task" which I think will not help you since it will not reschedule the work before the status date. Note also that setting a date constraint "must finish on" and "finish no later than" will not prevent Project to rechedule the remaining work after the constraint date.

Thing is that Project cannot know what behavior you are expecting from it. Changing the work leveling could cause overallocation, so Project keeps the leveling as it was before the rescheduling.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Thank you Guillaume,

This is the behavour I had noticed ... I was just hoping there was a workaround or a setting for it.

This helped.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:17 AM