Windows 7 - restore possible RRS feed

• Question

• I was given a Windows 7 computer (user does not know which version) that has the error bootmgr not found. The user has all their personal family pictures, movies, etc on the drive with no backup. When I connect the hard drive (SATA) as a secondary drive on my USB drive adapter, I only see System Volume Information, a link to Documents and Settings (which opens the local user folder on the master driver), and the Windows folder with a handful of files in it.

The user said they had a virus and now nothing works and they don't have a backup of their files. Is there any saving the files? I tried using a Win 7 Pro and Ent DVD to repair, but it cannot find the windows install on the disc. My thought is that the data is gone forever but I want to exhaust all possibilities. Any help would be most beneficial.

Thanks,

Jason

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:22 PM

Answers

• Jason

On a working computer, download the small latest Puppy Linux ISO file then burn it to a CD, here http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

To run ‘Puppy Linux’, firstly plug in a USB backup device to copy the files to and put the Puppy CD in the drive. Restart the computer and boot from it (you may have to change a BIOS setting to boot from an optical drive). Wait a few moments for it to load and copy files to RAM. When the Desktop appears, your drives will appear along the bottom of the screen, e.g. those labelled SDA, SDB etc. are hard disk drives/partitions, etc.

Open both the source and destination drives (with a single-click) and drag folders from the HDD to the USB backup and then select Copy. If you’re unfamiliar with Puppy Linux, use single-click for access, not double-click and when you’ve finished with it, click Menu (bottom left) > Shut down > Reboot computer and DO NOT save anything when prompted.

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:08 AM