How to log your daily tasks and compile reports from them? RRS feed

• Question

• I am working for a well-established animation school as a sole IT manager and helpdesk support. I am having to record my duties daily and produce weekly reports based on them. Currently there is only a Word template for reports available to me. I am wondering what other software would improve this sort of repetitive logging and reporting task. I have thought of developing an Access 2003 database of requested tasks and their outcomes and pull reports from it using Crystal Reports XI. Would this work? Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:10 AM

Answers

• Good day Dai2809,

You can also use Microsoft InfoPath for reports which you can be able to design a format for your report forms, the Microsoft InfoPath it is included on full installation of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition, or 2007 and you can use or link if you have created a Database on Access.

May this add to your idea and other way of creating a report with a proper form design.

Thanks and Regards,

Cheers...
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:15 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Do you have SharePoint at your disposal, because if you have, I would suggest it would be fairly easy to publish your daily duties using spreadsheet or something similar so you could input your actual performance against them for your management to see.
    • Proposed as answer by Douks Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:14 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 10:46 PM

All replies

• C'mon folks.. there's got to be some good suggestions out there for Dai2809.  It's been a few years since I've used MS Project, but is there a way to use that to check off and report on completion of tasks?
    Or maybe a way to get at the task list in Outlook and generate a report?

Kevin
    Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:50 PM
  • try SpiceWorks, I heard good things about it and it is free and capable of managing helpdesk and producing reports
    http://www.spiceworks.com/
    http://ITDualism.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Do you have SharePoint at your disposal, because if you have, I would suggest it would be fairly easy to publish your daily duties using spreadsheet or something similar so you could input your actual performance against them for your management to see.
    • Proposed as answer by Douks Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:14 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Thanks for this suggestion. I would have look into what SharePoint has to offer as I am a complete novice of that program. But publishing my daily duties sounds good  as I do not want my manager to strain her mind to work out how to make sense of my Access service request database. Will give it a try. 
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Good day Dai2809,

You can also use Microsoft InfoPath for reports which you can be able to design a format for your report forms, the Microsoft InfoPath it is included on full installation of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition, or 2007 and you can use or link if you have created a Database on Access.

May this add to your idea and other way of creating a report with a proper form design.

Thanks and Regards,

Cheers...
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:15 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Infopath is also a great solution if you want to later put those forms into SharePoint.  MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Server 2010 both support hosting InfoPath forms.  And 2010 let's you edit and add records from the "web app" interface in SharePoint. 

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Can InfoPath be chosen to install during setup with a full edition of MS Office 2003/2007?

Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:45 AM