Cannot access Western Digital NAS with File Browsers after Windows 10 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this issue on the Microsoft Community forums and was directed to post it here for expert advice.

A month ago I upgraded from Windows 7 Home 64-bit to Windows 10. After the upgrade I found that I was no longer able to access a Western Digital MyBookLive NAS on my home LAN network through the File Browser, or indeed with the file browsers of any of the installed programs. Subsequently I rolled back to Windows 7 largely due this problem but in part as a result of issues that arose after attempting to recover a disc back-up of the Windows 10 system that I had created after upgrading.

I addressed the MyBookLive access problem on the Western Digital Community forum and have been avidly monitoring the responses that have have come back. Here is the thread:

https://community.wd.com/t/windows-10-cannot-access-my-book-live-with-file-browser/141176

Clearly others are experiencing the same or similar issues. Some have suggested various workarounds and hacks, which to my mind should not be necessary, and I certainly to not wish to find myself having to try this and that to see if it works. There needs to be a formal fix for this problem, whether that needs to come from Microsoft or Western Digital. Current opinion in that thread is that the problem lies with Windows. 

As such, I am addressing it here.

Thanks.

• Edited by Inapickle2 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, we received some similar feedback about the NAS and had already submit this issue. Hope it would be fixed soon.

Main discussion about NAS discovery issue, read this thread:

Cannot connect to CIFS / SMB / Samba Network Shares & Shared Folders in Windows 10 after update 1511/10586

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2131750e-d589-41f0-b6a3-1c7dac2361d9/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10-after-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:07 AM
  • As the main thread is closed, here a solution for people that have a configurable samba-server in their environment:

In the [global] section of smb.conf add:

os level = 100
       local master = yes

This should make the "hidden" systems appear (Windows restart might be necessary)

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:15 PM
  • HAndreasaen's reply in the thread Karen Hu recommends fixed my connectivity. I had been trying to connect to my UnRaid NAS from a new PC that came with Windows 10 and was unable until I applied HAndreasaen's fix. My other PC's that were upgraded to windows 10 never had any issues.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:13 PM