none
Windows Server 2012 - problem with Disable any functions for users on Win XP

Question

• Hello!

I'm new in Windows Server and i try to learn it. Please be tolerant.

I have trouble with group policy for users in Windows XP Pro

I'm trying disable functions like Task manager, Control Panel, disable desctop background etc. Any one of this function not works for me.

I Have 2 virtual machines: 1. Win Serv 2012, 2. Winows XP Pro. Both can ping therebetween and web sites ( google.com )

I created users : user1 and user2 and some more users. I instaled DHCP, AD DS, DNS. I connected  My XP to domain. All based functionaly was done and for example permissions to files works for them.

What i do for polices:

-Create Organization Unit in my domain.

- In GPO i create new GPO and i go EDIT

- I go to user configuration -> polices -> admin templates -> control panel and i edit "Prohibit acces to control Panel and PC settings" -> ENABLE ( so i disable it for users)

- Same i do for Task Manager, Wallpaper change etc.

- Next i go back to AD Users and Computers -> refresh on domain to show new Unit -> go tu Users -> Right Click on user1 -> Move... -> and move to new Unity.

- Then i logout User1 and log in again User1.

- And unfortunately User1 still can go to control Panel :/

Some body know what i do bad or what is wrong with this that my users on Win Xp Pro can operate setting which were disabled for them?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Please run gpresult /h on the windows xp machine to see if the group policy is applied successfully.
    And you could have a try to disable control panel by modifying registry as below and see if it works:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Value Name: NoControlPanel
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: 1
    Please note: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Please back up the registry before you do any update on the registry.
    In addition, Microsoft has ended up the support for Windows XP, we suggest you upgrade the operating system for better user experience.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all use rsop to verify if the gpos are correctly applied to your computers.

Here is how to do on XP:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457005.aspx

FrenchITGuy.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hey!

Okay so i can't do point 7. Because i can't choose any user i have inactive window :/ and i can do only for computer, not  for user.

Do u know why ?

• Edited by Zaginacz Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Are you logged in the computer with the user account when you run the rsop?

Check this step by step guide:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-done-troubleshoot-group-policies-with-windows-xps-resultant-set-of-policy-wizard/

FrenchITGuy.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Hi,
    Alternatively, you could run gpresult /h to view the group policy report, too. Please have a try.
    In addition, please make sure that the GPO is linked to the OU of users.

>>Next i go back to AD Users and Computers -> refresh on domain to show new Unit -> go tu Users -> Right Click on user1 -> Move... -> and move to new Unity.
    - Then i logout User1 and log in again User1.
    For user1, please have a try to refresh the user membership following the article as below and try again and see if it works:
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/7562-refresh-user-s-group-membership-without-logging-off-and-on
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Hey!

okay, so i tried all things from your answers but not works for me, first i can't choose users like at this photo:

@Wendy Jiang - i did what u said and from link, but it doesn't works for me.

GUYS I CHECKED POLICY ON WINDOWS 7 PRO AND IT WORKS - So i did all good at windows server... :)

WHAT'S NEXT???? :(

• Edited by Zaginacz Monday, August 22, 2016 1:15 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 1:14 PM
  • Some one could help me?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Please run gpresult /h on the windows xp machine to see if the group policy is applied successfully.
    And you could have a try to disable control panel by modifying registry as below and see if it works:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Value Name: NoControlPanel
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: 1
    Please note: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Please back up the registry before you do any update on the registry.
    In addition, Microsoft has ended up the support for Windows XP, we suggest you upgrade the operating system for better user experience.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:05 AM