none
Unable to contact the protection agent on server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a problem with the upgrade of the agent was already doing backups me two days ago but within a communication error with the following error:
    The agent operation failed on SRVSERVIDOR1 because DPM could not communicate with the DPM protection agent. The computer may be protected by another DPM server, or the protection agent may have been uninstalled on the protected computer.
    If SRVSERVIDOR1 is a workgroup server, the password for the DPM user account could have been changed or may have expired.

Check the following to troubleshoot this issue:
    1) If the agent is not installed on SRVSERVIDOR1, run DpmAgentInstaller.exe with this DPM computer as a parameter. For details, see the DPM Deployment Guide.
    2) To attach the computer correctly to this DPM server, run the SetDpmServer tool on the protected computer.
    3) If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, remove the protected data sources on this computer from active protection. Then, remove the entry of this computer from the Agents tab in the Management task area.
    4) If SRVSERVIDOR1 is a workgroup server, run SetDpmServer with the -UpdatePassword flag on the protected computer and Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 on the DPM server to update the password.
    5) If the DPM server and the protected computer are not in the same domain, ensure that there is a two-way trust setup between the two domains.

and execute the command SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName SRVDPM -isNonDomainServer -updatePassword on my server to support and the next command in server DPM:
    Update-NonDomainServerInfo –PSName SRVSERVIDOR1 –dpmServerName SRVDPM
    but mark me the following error:

There is failure while updating password for production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 : SRVSERVIDOR1 is not configured to be protected as a workgroup server.
    At line:1 char:27
    + Update-NonDomainServerInfo <<<<  -PSName SRVSERVIDOR1  -dpmServerName SRVDPM
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1

as well as uninstall the agent and again urged, with the same user with different and I am still setting error.
    your help me what I can do?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:04 AM Moving to DPM Workgroup Protection Forum (From:DPM Setup and Agent management)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Is the DPM server and the target server in the same domain?

Thanks
    Shane
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:17 PM
  • The default policy for local accounts in 2008 R2 is set to expire the password after 42 days so you'll want to set the password of the DPM backup account to never expire once it is created.
    If you've uninstalled and reinstalled the agent then you'll need to match the details on the DPM server after running the agent installer.

1. Remove the agent installed on the DPM server for the workgroup/untrusted server
    2. On the protected server run SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName SRVDPM -isNonDomainServer -username LOCALNT_USERNAME . Be sure to match the name of the DPM server as it's resolvable from the untrusted server (either netbios or FQDN).
    3. Attach the agent at the server by using the install wizard or using the powershell command Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 -dpmservername DPMSERVERNAME -PSName PROTECTEDSERVERNAME -UserName PROTECTEDSERVERRLOCALNT_USERNAME

Hopefully that helps.

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Hello,

Does the problem still exists?

Thanks
    Shane
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:37 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:13 PM
  • I found that adding both the NETBIOS and the FQDN of the untrusted server to the hosts file on the DPM server allowed me to attach the agent. Normally FQDN was all that was needed, but not in this certain instance...
    • Edited by Johnny Diggs Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Johnny Diggs Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:27 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:19 AM
  • I found that adding both the NETBIOS and the FQDN of the untrusted server to the hosts file on the DPM server allowed me to attach the agent. Normally FQDN was all that was needed, but not in this certain instance...
    not pass, after a while was solved alone, but after a few months has again set the same mistake
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:12 PM
  • I was able to protect the VM using DPM because it is a cluster node and was able to add to the "Hyper-V" VM to the protection group. This way, since the agent is installed on the host, you don't need to install the agent on the VM itself. Problem solved!
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:21 PM