msexchdynamicdistributionlist with multiple OU RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

I am trying to create one Exchange dynamic Distribution group which can filter all the mailboxes which resides on Selected OU's (close to 10 different scattered  OU's but starting name is Same),

I have find this Link https://lainrobertson.wordpress.com/tag/msexchdynamicdistributionlist/ but still enable to through.

Can you anyone has done this, please do share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Tech_Bug Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:24 AM typo
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:20 AM

Answers

• As I said above, you can have dynamic groups for the users.  However, I've tried having a dynamic group that adds users from any OU based on OU names and have not found a way to do I.  My work around (as I mention above) is to have dynamic groups for the users in the individual OUs, then have a static group that handles the OUs themselves.  Unless you have something else to key on (like if a user gets moved to specific OUs, they have a custom attribute that an automatic process updates, saying they need to be in this group, and if they get removed from those OUs, that attribute is automatically cleared), there is no other way to handle this.

Considering you have a limited number of OUs, and you can write a script that creates the dynamic group for the OUs as they are created, this should have a very limited amount of administrative overhead.  This is how we do it for our branch offices, and we have >700 branch offices.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:24 PM
  • thanks for the reply,

It seems its better way to create DD Group for individual OUs, and add all of them in One Master DD/static OU which will handle of them, but in that way i need to consider for future as an when a new OU gets created then i need to create individual DD Group for that OU and it to master DD/Static Group.

By the way have you look the given Link whcih also talks about AD filter rather OPATH filter to achieve this. 

Sunday, January 18, 2015 4:25 PM

All replies

• If all of the OUs are in the same parent OU, you can put the root of the search at the parent OU.  Otherwise, you can create dynamic groups for each OU and place all of these into a single normal group that you would update manually.  The manual updates only need to happen when you create new dynamic groups, so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Edited by Will Martin, PFE Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:03 AM
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply Willard.

Actually we are looking one time activity so that Dynamic Group would get updated automatically the movement new user/Mailbox or New OU (Same Starting name) gets created it should get updated by their own so no manually interaction needed.

So by following the above link what i did that i created filter to query all the OU start with their starting name so that it would cover all the existing OUs and even in future if we create the new OU (prefix) the existing filter will consider it without any manual interaction.

Hope you understand the scenario and can help me out.. 

Sunday, January 18, 2015 7:15 AM
  • As I said above, you can have dynamic groups for the users.  However, I've tried having a dynamic group that adds users from any OU based on OU names and have not found a way to do I.  My work around (as I mention above) is to have dynamic groups for the users in the individual OUs, then have a static group that handles the OUs themselves.  Unless you have something else to key on (like if a user gets moved to specific OUs, they have a custom attribute that an automatic process updates, saying they need to be in this group, and if they get removed from those OUs, that attribute is automatically cleared), there is no other way to handle this.

Considering you have a limited number of OUs, and you can write a script that creates the dynamic group for the OUs as they are created, this should have a very limited amount of administrative overhead.  This is how we do it for our branch offices, and we have >700 branch offices.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:24 PM
  • thanks for the reply,

It seems its better way to create DD Group for individual OUs, and add all of them in One Master DD/static OU which will handle of them, but in that way i need to consider for future as an when a new OU gets created then i need to create individual DD Group for that OU and it to master DD/Static Group.

By the way have you look the given Link whcih also talks about AD filter rather OPATH filter to achieve this. 

Sunday, January 18, 2015 4:25 PM