Problems activating Win7 VIA KMS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Server 2008R2 Standard server with a KMS-B Key installed on it. This is not a Domain Controller. It only runs WDS. I have installed Windows 7. with no key and when I try to activate it I get Error )xC004F074 The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service(KMS) is unavailable. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:47 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would open an elevated cmd prompt on the Domain Controller and run slmgr /dlv to check if was accidently using a KMS hsot key.  we have seen that happen frequently.

I would also recommend getting the WAIK and use the VAMT ( Volume Activation Management Tool) to look a the machines on your network to ensure they are running the correct KMS client keys rather than something else.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 26, 2010 3:38 AM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you seen these links :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/974998?p=1

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/9635d9f1-dba2-43b3-b886-df661b2094f3

Regards.

Bechir Gharbi. MCSA, MCSE M+S, MCITP Server/Enterprise Administrator, MCT, MCTS Configuration Manager/Forefront (Time Zone : GMT+1)
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by edweird70 Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:01 PM
  • None of these worked. When I look at the Application log in event viewer it is looking to the domain controller for activation and I am not running KMS on the domain controller.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Check out this guide on how to setup KMS on win 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx

BR Chris

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:40 PM
  • KMS works through DNS so that client computers know where to go to be activated.  Are you sure you don't have any DNS records still in existence that would cause the client to want to go to the wrong server?

I've heard (and seen it done) where people erronously activate several servers all with the KMS host key (which you can easily do).  When that happens, every computer will have a record created in DNS that will advertise that box as a KMS host.  Later on, if you fix the box, the DNS records may still be there...  You might want to verify that they are not there.

There has to be some reason why your client wants to go to your DC to be activated...  That's certainly not a default thing to do, so it has to have been told to do that somehow.

Mike N.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Hello,

I would open an elevated cmd prompt on the Domain Controller and run slmgr /dlv to check if was accidently using a KMS hsot key.  we have seen that happen frequently.

I would also recommend getting the WAIK and use the VAMT ( Volume Activation Management Tool) to look a the machines on your network to ensure they are running the correct KMS client keys rather than something else.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 26, 2010 3:38 AM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:40 AM