restore-mailbox Help Mayday need some recovers email fast RRS feed

• Question

• This is where I am after a server fail. I have a new server in place, no data restored as there was no backup (dont ask). I have created a new user account on the server, lets call him CHUCK and he is receiving new email.

Now, I have pulled the old mail database from the harddrive of the dead server, repaired and got it mounted as an RSG database. So if I list the databases I have 2 "Mail box" databases. The First storage group and Recovery Storage Group.

I ran the wizard to merge CHUCKS email from the RSG to the FSG but it wont, complains GUID not found due to the fresh server install I guess.

All the google links on restore-mailbox all talk about restoring to a folder, I don't want this. I want everything restored to the exact original locations including contacts, calender entries in CHUCKS mailbox etc etc.

Whats the command to do this please?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

since you managed to find the old database, you could have mounted that on the production directly.

Plan Assuming we have Exchange 2007 or 2010.

1. Export the PST for the current mailbox CHUCK.

2. Disable the mailbox (DONT REMOVE, JUST DISABLE THE MAILBOX)

For Exchange 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/21/the-difference-between-disabling-and-removing-a-mailbox-in-exchange-2007.aspx

3. Mount the OLD database on to production by pointing the EDB file to mailbox database and selecting the option "THIS DATABASE CAN BE OVER WRITTEN BY RESTORE".

4. Run Clean-Mailbox -Database "name if the mailbox store".

5. You would find the old mailboxes under Disconnected Mailboxes.

6. Reconnect the Disconnected mailbox to AD objects ( I hope they are still present :) )

7. Create a new Outlook profile and they should be able to see the old data.

Regards,

Ragharam

*******PLEASE MARK AS ANSWER if it was helpful*******

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:20 PM

All replies

• ok i got around the guid issue but cant find a way around the retarded folder that it wants to restore into. I mean all users waht their email back to its ORIGINAL location not some sub folder where they have to move it all.

Why do Microsoft make all the glaring obvious needs so bloody difficult. /rage off

Anyone know how ?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

since you managed to find the old database, you could have mounted that on the production directly.

Plan Assuming we have Exchange 2007 or 2010.

1. Export the PST for the current mailbox CHUCK.

2. Disable the mailbox (DONT REMOVE, JUST DISABLE THE MAILBOX)

For Exchange 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/21/the-difference-between-disabling-and-removing-a-mailbox-in-exchange-2007.aspx

3. Mount the OLD database on to production by pointing the EDB file to mailbox database and selecting the option "THIS DATABASE CAN BE OVER WRITTEN BY RESTORE".

4. Run Clean-Mailbox -Database "name if the mailbox store".

5. You would find the old mailboxes under Disconnected Mailboxes.

6. Reconnect the Disconnected mailbox to AD objects ( I hope they are still present :) )

7. Create a new Outlook profile and they should be able to see the old data.

Regards,

Ragharam

*******PLEASE MARK AS ANSWER if it was helpful*******

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

I think that while you are moving the mailboxes from the old location to the new one and for this you need to take care of certain things like:

1.) You have to take the active directory permission to create the new users to move the mailbox to the new location having a new exchange. We cannot create the new user account manually on the new location as the move mailbox will not recognise the special identification of each user for connecting the mailbox to the relevant newly created account.

2) You can use the cmdlet command to perform the mailbox migration.

3) After the migration you need to update the outlook profile as if we are migrating from the source whose outlook is 2010 and if at the destination it is different suppose it is outlook 2007.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:18 PM