Server 2012 WSUS Offline Install RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a new version of "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" that works with Server 2012R2. I have read that Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools does not work with Server 2012R2. WSUS 3.2 uses WsusMigrationExport.exe from "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" to export the .xml file from a server that is connected to the internet. The current 2008R2 server that is offline from the internet uses WsusMigtrationImport.exe to import the .xml file. I need to know how to accomplish this using WSUS on 2012R2 server.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:33 PM

Answers

• Is there a new version of "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" that works with Server 2012R2.

No, and likely there will not be, as most of that functionality now exists within the capability of PowerShell.

WSUS 3.2 uses WsusMigrationExport.exe from "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" to export the .xml file from a server that is connected to the internet.

Actually, that is not the correct tool to use for the stated purpose. As posted elsewhere today in another thread on this same issue, the correct procedure to use is documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates and that procedure does NOT use any functionality from the API Samples kit.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I can't find the WSUS API Samples and Tools for 2012R2.

WSUS 3.0 API Samples and Tools is not supported in Windows Server 2012R2 by default.

Due to WSUS 3.0 API Samples and Tools is released with source code, we can try to rebuild it in the Windows Server 2012R2. For detailed information about how the rebuiled, please refer to the readme document of the WSUS 3.0 API Samples and Tools.

If the new WSUS server can access the existing WSUS server, as a workaround, we can configure the new WSUS server as the replica server of the existing WSUS server. After the synchronization, change the server mode to stand alone.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Is there a new version of "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" that works with Server 2012R2.

No, and likely there will not be, as most of that functionality now exists within the capability of PowerShell.

WSUS 3.2 uses WsusMigrationExport.exe from "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools" to export the .xml file from a server that is connected to the internet.

Actually, that is not the correct tool to use for the stated purpose. As posted elsewhere today in another thread on this same issue, the correct procedure to use is documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates and that procedure does NOT use any functionality from the API Samples kit.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I’m writing to just check in to see if the suggestions were helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Best Regards

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 24, 2014 8:19 AM