none
Failed SBS 2011 Migration from SBS 2003

Question

• Over the weekend I attempted a migration of our SBS 2003 server over to SBS 2011, and ran into a couple issues.  Before the migration, I ran the SBS best practices tool, Exchange best practices tool, and the migration tool built into the 2011 installer.  I fixed the issues mentioned on all of those tools (nothing major was mentioned, a few things like our DNS settings on the sbs server was set to its self, and one outside DNS, which I removed, and that our primary network interface had 2 IP's assigned to it, so I removed the extra entry).

During the first attempt the system appeared to hang for quite a while, and then rebooted with a message that the installation had failed due to the login account not being found on the primary server (it was, and has all the correct groups set, with domain users set as the primary group).  The new server was set up as a DC, but that's about as far as it appeared to get (I didn't save the logs though).  I go to the main SBS server and start checking the event logs, and I find that our NTFRS is in a journal wrap state (the migration software didn't catch it for whatever reason, no mention of problems with NTFRS during it's run).  I'm assuming this is why the initial install failed.  At this point the new server hasn't been able to replicate from the old server, but it also appears that the new server has transferred all the AD roles over to it's self.

After seeing that we're in a journal wrap state, and the install failed I read on the forums here that my best bet is to restore the existing server to the pre-migration state.  I took the last backup before the migration, and go to restore the system state only to find that our Backup Exec backup wasn't set to backup the system state (the previous admin apparently never made sure that it was).  When I checked the backup, I just made sure we had the data store backup, and test restored a few files to make sure it was working, big mistake on my part.  I ended up demoting the new server, and using the journal wrap repair procedure to get the ntfrs problems fixed (it was also causing the system not to mount sysvol at this point).  Everything appeared to be working fine, clients could log in, mail was coming in and working, and the event logs were clear of any problems.  I ended up using NTBackup to get a good backup of the fixed system state.

I ran the migration wizard & BP tools again, and tried to do the migration a 2nd time.  Everything appeared to be running, and the unattended install ran (took forever, but I told it to get updates and all), but when the system rebooted into 2011 the first time, it showed a few minor installation issues, which ended up being Exchange 2010 not installing and a problem with Sharepoint incoming and outgoing mail.  I really wouldn't call these issues, more of a show-stopper (shouldn't the installer show this when it happens, not after it's first booted?).   I saved the log files, restored my 'good' state backup on the main sbs server, and decided to work on it next weekend.  

When I went into System Manager, I noticed that I have a new Exchange Administrative group set up, with the new server listed as it's server, which apparently is from the FIRST install that failed (this system state backup was from before the 2nd install attempt).  I work through removing the new server & administrative group, and clean up as much metadata as I can find from that failed install, and I think I'm back to where I started before the migration.

I ran the exchange BP analyzer again, and now I'm getting 3 critical issues.  Unknown schema extension version of 14726, unrecognized exchange signature 13040, and a paging file larger than physical memory (this was one I had from before the migration).

At this point I don't know which way to turn, I do have the log files from the 2nd migration attempt, if they'd be of any use.

The last few lines of the ExchangeSetup.log file contain:

[03/20/2011 02:09:46.0565] [0] InstallModeDataHandler has 9 DataHandlers
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0565] [0] RootDataHandler has 1 DataHandlers
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0568] [0] The following server role(s) will be installed
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0592] [0]   Languages
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0592] [0]   Management Tools
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0629] [0] Validating options for the 4 requested roles
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0671] [0] [REQUIRED] The Exchange Server is in an inconsistent state. Only disaster recovery mode is available. Please use Setup /m:RecoverServer to recover this Exchange server.
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0680] [0] End of Setup
    [03/20/2011 02:09:46.0680] [0] **********************************************

I'd like to know what caused the failure, get my existing domain/exchange setup back to a completely pre-migration state, get a good working backup and actually get the migration to complete.  I can send the logs if I need to, and I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix the AD errors above as well.

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:27 PM

Answers

• I tried updating the MEBPA, and still get the same error.  I'm pretty sure it's from the failed upgrade, and the extensions are from the Exchange 2010 setup, which wouldn't be correct for a SBS 2003 system.

It also looks like the CA server on the original SBS 2003 machine isn't there anymore, and all the CA's on it point to the failed server (SBS 2011), which doesn't have the CA Services installed anymore either.  Just keeps on getting better and better, lol.  Anyone have any enlightenment how where to go from there?

And as a side note, swingmigration.com released their sbs2003 to sbs2011 migration kit, I'm thinking of trying that route (if I can get my existing sbs machine back up and running like it was pre-migration attempts).

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi, David.  When we migrated from SBS2003 to SBS2008, it went something like your migration.  Not exactly, but generally.  Migration from 2000 to SBS2003, which had a much shorter migration document, went smoothly.  The 03 to 08 migration document grew to around 80 pages.  I read through the whole thing and still had migration failure, similar to yours.  Even though one of the experts said that it's amost always better to fix the post-migration issues, rather than build a domain from scratch, I chose to rebuild the domain.  I started on a business day in the morning and was mostly up and running by noontime.  Luckily our type of business could be without the server for a few hours.  This migration process has become ridiculous, in my opinion.  You have to do hundreds of things, and if you forget one, your up the creek.  They want you to do simulations in virtual environments ahead of time.  I have no experience in virtual environments, no spare equipment, nor the time to go through all that.  Plus to set that all up I'd have to follow more of their crappy instructions.  I believe these migrations, compared to brand new installs of the OS, are a form of torture.

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:28 PM
  • As I'm only dealing with around 28 users, that may end up being my eventual solution.  That way it'd also be a clean environment, and I could then import our old mail into the new store, and hopefully have a smaller store in the end (our existing datastore is well and above the generally accepted max size, no one here wants to ever delete any old mail it seems).  The only drawback would be our remote users, we have 10 remote users total, and I'd need to lay hands on all of those machines to move them to a new domain, along with their personal settings.  I've had to do it once before (when we went from a non-sbs 2000 domain to a SBS 2003 setup), and it wasn't terribly bad.

I'm just hoping I can get our existing setup fixed for the short term, and it'd be nice to find out what blocked Exchange from installing too.

Monday, March 21, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Terry,

I have yet to go through a migration. My last 2 installs have been clean installs to new domains. I do however plan to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 hopefully this year. I have to agree with your sentiments regarding VE's, hardware etc. I'm in the same boat. I don't have spare parts nor can I go out and buy a 64bit test system. I don't have any experience with VM's and have a hard time understanding them to be honest. From what I've read, the upside is the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware if needed and to save off the VHD for testing (again no experience). I look forward to working with a partner who has plenty of experience with SBS migrations when the time comes. 

BV

Thanks, Bill V
    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Did you disable Update Services on the source SBS 2003 server?

Did you check the "Check for updates" setting in the Answer File?

Do you have a System State backup of the source that you can fall back to?

Philip

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:24 PM
  • My only 'good' system state backup is from before the 2nd failed install attempt.  My last full system backup apparently wasn't as 'full' as I would have thought (the previous admin for whatever reason disabled the system state backups, and I didn't realize it until AFTER the first failed attempt).  At this point I'm still stuck as above, but both the schema and exchange signatures are incorrect (and I can't figure out how to fix that, as trying to run the exchange setup.exe results in it asking me for a key, which with SBS you don't get).  

I'm wondering if at this point it may just be easier to go with a fresh, new install, as I'm not 100% certain all that was done on the system prior to me taking it over, and I suspect there's some bad data in the AD setup, as well as general poor housekeeping having been done prior to then as well (I've had to remove a couple non-existant DC's and other problems from this system when I first took it over).

We also never had update services on 2003 running, was disabled from the start.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Your SBS key should work?

Do you have TechNet or Action Pack? Even a trial Exchange 2003 key may help.

Go here: HTTP://blog.mpecsinc.ca and click the e-mail link in the sidebar. Reference here and I will dig up an Exchange 2003 trial key if I can fond one.

Stepping back on source is not that hard.

• Dssite.msc
    • DNS management to remove IP and DNS A.
    • Ntdsutil to clean-up the rest (KB on this).

Once all references to the destination are gone you can run again. My worst was something like 15-20 attempts before PSS got their hands on it and figured out the problem (updates ran on destination forcing a reboot during DCPromo and replication stage).

Philip

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Can you pop me the sbssetup.log and the Exchange.log and email them to susan-at-msmvps.com?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:09 AM
  • I was able to resolve the key problem a few minutes ago, as it appears we have 2 licenses for SBS 2003, one from Dell OEM, and one from Microsoft Volume licensing (that was the one that was used, not the dell key).  I was also able to resolve one of the 2 issues, but for whatever reason, the Unknown Schema extension version won't clear with a /forestprep, it appears to be stuck at 14726 (which I'm assuming is for Exchange 2010?).  I haven't rebooted the machine since I ran the forestprep (our users are live now, and they hate downtime on their email), but would that be the problem with the /forestprep not working?  

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Zipped and mailed this morning. Also note above that I did resolve one of my issues, but I'm still having the issue with the Exchange Schema extension version.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

The unknown Schema extension version of 14726 can be caused due to Best Practices Analyzer is not up to date. You may try to install the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer and update it to check the result again.

Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer v2.8

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=dbab201f-4bee-4943-ac22-e2ddbd258df3

Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer Web Update Pack

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=4f2f1339-cbcd-4d26-9174-f30c10d7ec4c&displaylang=en

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:39 AM
  • I tried updating the MEBPA, and still get the same error.  I'm pretty sure it's from the failed upgrade, and the extensions are from the Exchange 2010 setup, which wouldn't be correct for a SBS 2003 system.

It also looks like the CA server on the original SBS 2003 machine isn't there anymore, and all the CA's on it point to the failed server (SBS 2011), which doesn't have the CA Services installed anymore either.  Just keeps on getting better and better, lol.  Anyone have any enlightenment how where to go from there?

And as a side note, swingmigration.com released their sbs2003 to sbs2011 migration kit, I'm thinking of trying that route (if I can get my existing sbs machine back up and running like it was pre-migration attempts).

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

According to your post, I realize that you were considering to contact swingmigration.com to finish the migration. I would like to confirm the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:46 AM
  • I've purchased the new 2011/2003 migration guide from them and will hopefully be trying the swing method this weekend.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thank you all for this enlighting story of migration with microsoft. I especially liked the reference to swing migration. I will not be migrating my clients SBS2003 that has a corrupted file system and nearly zero disk space using the 81 page Microsoft guide. Certainly, I will use it and the information gained from all of your failures.

Thanks again.

Friday, April 01, 2011 2:23 AM
  • It ended up taking an additional 2 weeks with the swing migration, but I've finally got everything up and running on 2011.  It looks like a good bit of my problems ended up coming from bad AD information, and additional problems were from the failed migrations (left a ton of references to the new AD elements for Exchange 2010 that caused me quite a bit of grief).  Jeff & Marina guided me through the steps required to actually get everything up and running again, and their help was invaluable.  
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I didn't have quite the problems you did but I still had issues with the user data migration; I copied the data to the users shares where the documentation said to and then the folder redirection wouldn't work because the folders already existed.

After all was aid and done; I had to clean up the registry on all of the client workstations and now everyone gets a cup of coffee and goes for a cigarette or heroin fix while the workstations login.  This was a problem I fixed easily with SBS 2003 but nothing I've tried works on SBS 2011.

Also, Fax Center doesn't work but, I'm hoping to have that addressed in another thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/7ebea9a3-7254-4c2a-8fb3-c23c5850354f?prof=required

Cheers

Ah to be a busboy in a third world nation
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:31 AM