none
SQL Server 2016 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need some help regarding sql server 2016 to be installed on one machine whcih is having sqlsever2014 installed already.

Can i proceed with the installation of the new one, will it work??

Will the system can I have multiple instances i.e  sql server 2014 and sql server 2016.

Regards

Ravikumar

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Madhavi,

I am currently working with two SQL 2014 instances and with SQL 2016 RTM version at the same time.

My Os is 10

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Hi ,

There is no issue for installing SQL 2016 on a computer already having sql 2014. You can isntall the DB Engine and required components for SQL 2016 that will work with SSMS 2014 OR you can download & Install new SSMS 2016.

In general You can install one default instance and multiple named instances, or multiple named instances with no default instance. The only difference between the default and the named instance is that to access the default instance you use only the machine name to access the instance; a named instance requires the machine name and the instance name.

Thanks

Shabeer

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi

I install 2016 on PC where I runing a instance with SQL 2014...no problem.

You can install a new istance or update a instance from SQL 2014 to SQL 2016. If you update a instance made a good backup just in case if something goes wrong.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Hello,

On a production server, I would recommend you to balance memory usage across all instances installed on that computer. You should specify the “max server memory” option to limit memory usage per instance and leave 3-4 GB to the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:28 AM
  • Hi

I need some help regarding sql server 2016 to be installed on one machine whcih is having sqlsever2014 installed already.

Will the system can I have multiple instances i.e  sql server 2014 and sql server 2016.

As long as you meed Hardware and software requirements for SQL Server 216 I am sure you would be able to install. The presence of SQL Server 2014 will not have affect on 2016 installation. Microsoft supports installation of 2 different version on same machine.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Madhavi,

I am currently working with two SQL 2014 instances and with SQL 2016 RTM version at the same time.

My Os is 10

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Hi ,

There is no issue for installing SQL 2016 on a computer already having sql 2014. You can isntall the DB Engine and required components for SQL 2016 that will work with SSMS 2014 OR you can download & Install new SSMS 2016.

In general You can install one default instance and multiple named instances, or multiple named instances with no default instance. The only difference between the default and the named instance is that to access the default instance you use only the machine name to access the instance; a named instance requires the machine name and the instance name.

Thanks

Shabeer

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi

I install 2016 on PC where I runing a instance with SQL 2014...no problem.

You can install a new istance or update a instance from SQL 2014 to SQL 2016. If you update a instance made a good backup just in case if something goes wrong.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Hello,

On a production server, I would recommend you to balance memory usage across all instances installed on that computer. You should specify the “max server memory” option to limit memory usage per instance and leave 3-4 GB to the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:28 AM
  • Hi

As long as you meed Hardware and software requirements for SQL Server 216 I am sure you would be able to install. The presence of SQL Server 2014 will not have affect on 2016 installation. Microsoft supports installation of 2 different version on same machine.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:23 PM