none
MDT Deployment Wizard Not Loading - HELP! RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I can't for the life of me figure out why the deployment wizard for MDT is not loading. All I am getting when trying to boot into MDT is "The Deployment Wizard was canceled or did not complete successfully. The deployment will not proceed." This is both via PxE booting using WDS as well as trying to use a USB drive to boot into the share. This all started when we migrated our deployment share to a new server. I've gone in and updated the server name for the UNC path, in both the customsettings and bootstrap files, updated the images and replaced the ones in WDS, as well as making sure sharing and such is enabled on my new deployment share folder. I'm at a loss and I hope you all can help me figure this one out. Here is what my last bdd.log shows.

    <![LOG[Removing AutoAdminLogon registry entries]LOG]!><time="12:08:00.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Re-enabling UAC for built-in Administrator account]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[VSSMaxSize not specified using 5% of volume.]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Logs contained 0 errors and 0 warnings.]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[No Windows PE image to delete.]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Checking mapped network drive.]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[testing drive Z: mapped to \\enc1c-app-01\MDTDeploymentShare$]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Disconnecting drive Z: mapped to \\enc1c-app-01\MDTDeploymentShare$]LOG]!><time="12:08:01.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Cleaning up X:\MININT directory.]LOG]!><time="12:08:02.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Cleaning up TOOLS, SCRIPTS, and PACKAGES directories.]LOG]!><time="12:08:02.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">
    <![LOG[Removing X:\MININT folder (final log entry)]LOG]!><time="12:08:02.000+000" date="04-02-2018" component="LTICleanup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTICleanup">

    Thank you!

    Monday, April 2, 2018 7:27 PM

Answers

  • I actually figured out the issue. After searching around for hours, I was able to debug my deployment and found a spot that was holding it up. Ended up being an issue with MDT not liking the drivers I had. When we migrated from the old server I had updated us from the old AIK to the new ADK and apparently some of the drivers I was using it didn't like. After updating them I was able to run the image just fine. Thanks all for the responses!
    • Marked as answer by AdamM01 Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:24 PM

All replies

  • Is this on all computers or only one you are using as a test?
    Monday, April 2, 2018 7:31 PM
  • So far this has been for all computers. I've tested about 4 now.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 7:38 PM
  • Have you tried running diskpart / clean on a test machine and trying initialzing the MDT wizard again? The log above does not contain any clues aside from MDT running cleanup tasks.

    Cheers,
    Anton

    Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

    Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:46 AM
  • I actually figured out the issue. After searching around for hours, I was able to debug my deployment and found a spot that was holding it up. Ended up being an issue with MDT not liking the drivers I had. When we migrated from the old server I had updated us from the old AIK to the new ADK and apparently some of the drivers I was using it didn't like. After updating them I was able to run the image just fine. Thanks all for the responses!
    • Marked as answer by AdamM01 Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:24 PM