How to make a discussion board , private between the users (upload & delete rights) and the supervisor (full control) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a discussion board, a group of users and one supervisor user.

The discussion board has "read items that were created by the user" set so users cant see what the others have created...ok so far...

The supervisor user can see everything, but when he replies, the simple user who created the conversation CAN NOT see the supervisors reply...

if i set "manage list" permissions to the users, they see one each other's discussions so it is not an option.

Supervisor : Full control

group of users : contribute writes

ALSO: when logged in as a normal user, that created a discussion to which the supervisor has replied, i can see "replies 3" for example. So i can see that there are replies from someone but when i clinck on the title, to enter the discussion, i see only the user's.

Could i have some assistance please?

• Edited by giorgospsk Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:36 PM improve
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:45 PM

Answers

• "The first step of failure is trying."
    -Homer Simpson 

Well, you need to grab your bootstraps and pull them tight.  Then double-down on your readings about SPD Workflows and figure out what you can and can't do.  Next, initiate the trial & error process, and finally apply a liberal amount of elbow grease and good ole' fashioned American Ingenuity.

Godspeed.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

• Marked as answer by giorgospsk Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• The simple anwer is that the SharePoint forum isn't suitable for what you're trying to make it do.  Audiences can't be applied on an item / discussion level (and I'd be horrified if you could). and as you've already seen the "read items that were created by the user" settings work on responses.

You might be able to create a filter in a view to show items created the user only via use of [ME] in the filter field but this wouldn't be secure.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:45 PM
    Answerer
  • "You can have any color, as long as it's black." -Henry Ford

This is kinda the principle behind that setting.  ONLY the user that created it gets to read it.  Period, end of story.

You could create an SPD workflow that sets the item level permissions when the item is created, which grants read to the creator and Full to the supervisor.

Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:16 PM
  • i have never used sharepoint workflows before. Using your method is going to work and give me the results i need?

is it possible such a big project not having the ability to do something like that?

Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:36 PM
  • It is absolutely possible that such a big project does not have the ability you desire.  There are only 2.49 million things they thought about when building it, unfortunately, we needed 2.50M.  So, we have to compensate with custom coding.

I can't guarantee that using an SPD Workflow you will get 100% of what you WANT, but it will get you a solution to get you further down the road.

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:13 PM
  • ok. so i need help!

What should i do?

What is the excact answer please?

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:58 PM
  • "The first step of failure is trying."
    -Homer Simpson 

Well, you need to grab your bootstraps and pull them tight.  Then double-down on your readings about SPD Workflows and figure out what you can and can't do.  Next, initiate the trial & error process, and finally apply a liberal amount of elbow grease and good ole' fashioned American Ingenuity.

Godspeed.

• Marked as answer by giorgospsk Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:29 PM
  • at first i did not understand how your reply would help me! But i followed you instructions one by one and finally made it!

Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:35 AM