WSUS - reboot the computer without any option to postpone the reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have WSUS Server configured to my company where i am working.

The problem that i have, the user get windows(message) informed him that the computer will restart in 30mins. and there is no option to postpone.

The problem in this link ( i had screenshot).

https://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=4f8e9241-620b-4f38-96b6-5cbbcecf783f

Actually it wasn't good cause sometimes the user has a lot of work on his workstation and it is not make sense to restart the computer as long as he is working.

What i should do it to prevent this?

Group policy config:

Do not display "install updates and shutdown" option in shutdown window: Disabled

Do not adjust default option to "install updates and shutdown": Not Configured

Enable windows update power management to automatically wake system: Not Configured

Configure automatic updates: enabled ( Auto download and schedule the install , installation : daily, 21.00 o'clock )

Specify internet Microsoft update server location: WSUS server URL

Automatic updates detection frequency: 22hr

Allow non admins to receive update notification: Disabled

Turn on software notification: Not Configured

Allow automatic updates immediate installation: Disabled

Turn on recommended updates via Automatic updates: Not Configured

No auto-restart with logged on user for scheduled automatic updates installations: Enabled.

Re-prompt for restart with scheduled instillation: 500 minutes

Delay restart for scheduled instillation: enable, 30 minutes

reschedule automatic updates scheduled instillation: 60 minute

Enable client side targeting: name of the OU's that the computers are in, in AD

Allow sighed updates from an intranet Microsoft update server location: Not Configured

Thanks in advance

Alas

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hello Alas,

You can enable the option 'Allow non-administrators to receive update notification'. This option allows the non-admin user to restart computer later after installing the updates. By default, the notification will appear every 5 minutes when the user hit 'restart later'. 

You can control this interval by enabling and setting the GPO policy 'Delay Restart for scheduled installations'.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hello Alas,

You can enable the option 'Allow non-administrators to receive update notification'. This option allows the non-admin user to restart computer later after installing the updates. By default, the notification will appear every 5 minutes when the user hit 'restart later'. 

You can control this interval by enabling and setting the GPO policy 'Delay Restart for scheduled installations'.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Thanks Andy

I will try this solution .

Best Regards

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Hell Alas,

You are welcome.

I will wait for your feedback.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hi Andy,

it was working out.

I could now postpone the Reboot.

Thanks again for your help

Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Hello Alas,

You are welcome, and glad to hear it works.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi Andy,

i have one problem with one machine (windows 10 pro Build 15063) and it is virual machine. it could not get updates from WSUS and there is always error with (There were problems during installing updates. We will try again later)

The error code is: 0x8024500c

And you will see the updates that already installed but not via WSUS, via windows update

Do you have any idea how could solve it? i have another machines with windows 10 but they are getting the updates from WSUS.

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Alas8 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:57 AM