none
POSReady 2009 - If FBReseal doesn't happen? RRS feed

• Question

• POSReady Newbie here with questions.

Scenario: Rolling out a big PR9 install....and I am just baffled at how it's being done, but I don't want to challenge the big guy's methods. We're getting issues and I am trying to dig in to, "what should be done" instead of "what just works right now".

Problems:

1.) I don't believe the original image provided was FBReseal'ed....so, is that a problem? Would I know? Can I tell?

2.) I believe a single system with PR9 was loaded with additional 3rd party software and ghost'd to an image. Is this an acceptable procedure?

3.) Once the image is pushed to a new system, a system name and IP (networking) is changed along with running a newSID.exe. Is this an acceptable procedure?

Clarifications: All systems are from the same provider and have the same hardware. I am looking for deployment procedure verification from those who know more than I do. I had read newSID.exe (sysinternals) was retired and MS non-supported and sysprep isn't needed for PR9 because of FBReseal.

I am seeing weird application issues on some systems deployed, but I can't tell right now if it's because of cloning, imaging, h/w corruption, or s/w issues. Yay.

Any wisdom, pointers, links, or references would be much appreciated. Completely new to the Point of Sales systems world.
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:51 AM

All replies

• We are using fbreseal -keepall to keep autologin-settings, user-settings, etc. and avoid that they get reset. Additionally we use a Windows startup-script to enable FBWF after the image was deployed successfully. (if applicable for you)

I think NewSID is not supported (at all) - you can do everything with fbreseal, too - but as stated on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458833(v=winembedded.20).aspx it's not supported to be run more than once, so we capture the image before sealing it for deployment and if we are in need to update our master, we go back to the none-sealed image again.

For backup-/restore we use WinPE2005 with diskpart/diskpar and ImageX from the Windows OPK.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Roman Maier

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:05 AM