Specifying different OSDComputerName based on laptop/desktop and DeploymentType RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been teaching myself MDT 2012 Update 1 from scratch to deal with our corporate upgrade to Windows 8 and have managed to get it to the stage where we can now deploy Windows 7, Windows 8 and upgrade from one to the other - including BitLocker on Windows 8.

The customsettings.ini file currently interrogates the machine to see if it is a laptop or desktop and, based on this, sets the OSDComputerName to either 44LTxxxx or 44DTxxxx and installs a different set of Mandatory Applications.

Whilst the above works perfectly for new builds we would like to be able to tell MDT to use the existing machine name if an upgrade (from Windows 7 to Windows 8) is being performed - whilst maintaining the different sets of Mandatory Applications.

I have done some trial and error with OSVersion denoting the DeploymentType of NEWCOMPUTER or REFRESH and, while this works stand alone in a test environment, I can't get it to work when integrated in to the production environment with the existing variables. It either seems to enter the new OSDComputerName (44LTxxxx), set a new OSDComputerName (MININT-xxxxx) or ignore my entries to skip certain configuration screens.

Any advice that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated as this is 1 of only 2 things (Enabling TPM in the BIOS is the other) I would love to have in place before we start officially testing and rolling out.

Here is my current customsettings.ini file. I have chopped off the Desktop-True section to keep the length down as some of the settings are duplicated and could really do with being put in the default section as they apply to all machines being built.

[Settings]
    Priority=ByLaptop, ByDesktop, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[ByLaptop]
    subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%

[ByDesktop]
    subsection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipBuild=YES
    HideShell=YES
    SkipRoles=YES
    _SMSTSOrgName=COMPANY NAME

WSUSServer=https://WSUS-SERVER

EventService=http://WDS-SERVER:9800

[Laptop-True]
    OSDComputerName=44LTxxxx
    ;Mandatory Laptop Applications
    MandatoryApplications001={a685ca57-0b11-432b-bbbd-70b5cdc4adb5}

SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceID=001

SkipAdminAccounts=YES
    Administrators001=DOMAIN\USER

SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES

BDEInstall=TPM
    BdeInstallSuppress=NO
    BDeWaitForEncryption=False
    BDEDriveSize=2000
    BDEDriveLetter=S:
    BDERecoveryKey=AD
    SkipBitLocker=YES

SkipComputerBackup=YES
    ComputerBackupLocation=NONE

SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-GB
    UserLocale=en-GB
    UILanguage=en-US
    SystemLocale=en-GB

SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=085
    TimeZoneName=GMT STandard Time

SkipUserData=YES
    UserDataLocation=AUTO

SkipComputerName=NO

SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=DOMAIN
    DomainAdmin=ADMIN ACCOUNT
    DomainAdminDomain=DOMAIN
    DomainAdminPassword=ADMIN PASSWORD

UserID=DOMAIN ADMIN
    UserDomain=DOMAIN
    UserPassword=ADMIN PASSWORD

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• I do all my logic for OSDComputerName in a VBScript. I've uploaded one I've been using for a while to the Gallery. Just modify the Logic segment to meet whatever rules you have: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Set-OSDComputer-during-MDT-af9016bd

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Agreeing with DC on this one. A vbscript is the way to go. I had a similar issue with a client and used a User Exit script to pick apart some MDT properties like IsLaptop, IsDesktop, and IsVM to determine the machine name before deployment.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:26 AM