"Skype for Business is running" Android app notification RRS feed

• Question

• How do I stop this insanely annoying notification from popping up.  I still want notifications from the app when people message me on Skype for Business, but this "Skype for Business is running" notification pops up like 25 times per day.  I have zero need to have the app continuously tell me that it's running.  I KNOW it's running.  I'm the one who opened it.  It's like constantly telling me "Hey, it's still Tuesday".

Is there any setting anywhere in the app that will make this stop?  I have searched but can't find a way.

I have a Pixel 2XL running Android 9.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Within Settings, is Keep Running in Background enabled?

Try turning it off. As long as Push is supported, there should be no need to keep the app running.

• Marked as answer by donsevans Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:20 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Within Settings, is Keep Running in Background enabled?

Try turning it off. As long as Push is supported, there should be no need to keep the app running.

• Marked as answer by donsevans Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:20 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:08 PM
  • Hi donsevans,

You could try to disable the Status bar icon in the SFB setting in your phone. Also, in the Phone Setting, change the notifications for your phone: open the setting->Apps & Notifications.

In addition, if you do not want the SFB client is running in the background, you could try to disable Keep Running in Background as K_S_C said. It will not show notification about the SFB is running, and you will not receive any message when the SFB is running in background.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Thanks @K_S_C.   I thought that, if I disable the "Keep Running in background", I would not receive messages if the app isn't open.  So, I'm confused.  If Push notifications work (my Push Notifications Status says "Supported), then why does "Keep running in background" even exist as an option?  For what purpose would I ever want that block checked?  Not doubting what you say, just trying to understand why both exist?

thanks

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Mobility always seems a bit hit and miss to me on Skype for Business\Lync.

I think I've read somewehere in the past that Supported Push wasn't great on Android so they implemented the "Always Run in Background" function only within the Android app.

I know for instance it shows Not Supported in a Lync 2013 environment that I've seen so it needs to be ticked where as if I log into a SfB 2015 environment it does show as being supported so it can be unticked.

Monday, November 19, 2018 8:47 AM