App-V bandwidth usage RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't find this but is there a bandwidth calculator for App-V usage? 

Basically I would like to make sure my network is ok to deploy app-v in my production environment. 
    Here is a little about what I am going to do in my streaming environment
    have to load balanced web servers using our Cisco ACE one VM and one physical server
    fiber connected to the SAN
    I will be streaming out applications to about 1600 PC's
    Seperate Database server running sql 2005
    There will be some sites connected Point to point T1
    I would like to pre-cache the house

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Our current pilot has about 50-60 pc connected to one server and it seems to work fine.

Also what is the best way to roll out app-v as well.  I have heard the best way is to re-image the pc's and deploy the app-v client, then pre-cache the machines.

We are several months out but I want to make sure that this is a successful deployment.
    Brian
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Regarding the bandwidth usage you can always read the Server Sizing Guide, available along with other whitepapers;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Section 4.2 should be much of interest, however there are loads of factors to consider. So a good read through should give you your answers...

Regarding the reimaging I wouldn't know. I haven't had any problems deploying the client, or reimaging a client so any of the two ways would work fine from my perspective. However, there is always the consideration of what your current ESD can handle, how standardized your current environment is.
    I would say that the least of your problems is the rollout of the client, but more in the risk of packaging applications to a non-standardized environment which can always be a bit of fun.

Good luck!

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, April 6, 2009 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:44 PM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Regarding the bandwidth usage you can always read the Server Sizing Guide, available along with other whitepapers;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Section 4.2 should be much of interest, however there are loads of factors to consider. So a good read through should give you your answers...

Regarding the reimaging I wouldn't know. I haven't had any problems deploying the client, or reimaging a client so any of the two ways would work fine from my perspective. However, there is always the consideration of what your current ESD can handle, how standardized your current environment is.
    I would say that the least of your problems is the rollout of the client, but more in the risk of packaging applications to a non-standardized environment which can always be a bit of fun.

Good luck!

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, April 6, 2009 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:44 PM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Thank you Znack!!
    Like I said our pilot is ending at the end of April and hopefully moving forward.

Just a quick question, without going into great detail, what did you do?

Did you just send out the app-v client and stream the applications to the PC without uninstalling the application loaded on the PC?
    or
    Did you do a staged rollout as pc's were refreshed?

I have been to several classes and have on site rep's from MS and they all say "The best way is to re-image", just looking for more of the real world experience.

For my Pilot, we have had a mixture of re-imaging and uninstalling applications.  The re-image worked great and I have had minor issues uninstalling applications and then trying to run the virtual app.
    Brian
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hello,

I never performed an upgrade from an existing 4.2/4.1 environment to a 4.5 (in a large scale deployment). Basically I have deployed a 4.2 version with the MSI utility deploying first client and then carefully packaged applications to the client (no user impact, no reimaging).
    I was also part of a w2k upgrade to winxp where we reimaged all clients and deploying softgrid. As the problem was that many of the users were offline (and thus requiring offline media) we had issues with the SG-server. Now, that was started just before MS bought softricity - so many lessons were learned and considering the issues we had then - I wouldn't utilize the full infrastructure again on a client environment unless it was a desktop (no laptops) environment (or like I do at some customers today - a citrix environment).

A re-imaging is best for creating a baseline. This isn't specific for APP-v,but from any packaging perspective - to have a baseline is always good.
    When deploying to the unknown or several baselines - there are always complications (because you just don't know what to expect).

Now, I love the business cases where someone says that a company can save so much money on this and that. Basically, if the IT-department can handle a solution and understand the basics - you get the best results. Enforcing a solution to any department isn't good, and just to reimage all PC's to simple rollout app-v isn't good (because app-v can't deliver all applications and thus isn't the answer to all problems) .
    I don't know your needs or your current environment - perhaps it needs a makeover ? Perhaps its in pretty good shape.
    What I do know is that understanding the user-problems is first, and then trying to apply a technology afterwards is second.
    So determine what benefit your users would have of the solution, what problems you expect to solve and then apply the technology to solve it.

Understand what the users actually need, what they expect you to deliver and how you can make it easier for yourself todo this.

So far, all I can tell you is that 98% of the features available of a product is never used in most cases (that applies to app-v, any adobe, ms, autodesk or whatever product you deploy). Anything else I learned - is really only valid if all the factors match up to any previous requirements I have been challenged with.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:58 AM