Word 2010 Merge Field Won't Wrap Text Properly in Table Cell RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2010, I have inserted a Merge Field inside a cell in a table. The cell is set to Preferred Width of 3.95". In the Cell Options, "Wrap Text" is enabled. The Row Height is set to At Least 0.3" for both cells in the row. Given all that, I would expect the text in the Merge Field would wrap and the row would expand to the required vertical height.

However, when the length of the text in the Merge Field is greater than the Preferred Width of the cell and I display the merged results, the visible text is split in mid-word as shown below:

The cell does expand vertically to fit the content. However, I would expect the word "of" to be the last word in the first line, and have the word "specification" (the truncated word) appear as the first word in the second line instead of being truncated at the end of the first line.

I have tried multiple things to get the text to wrap properly, and I can't make it work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this so that the text in my Merge Field wraps properly and is not truncated in mid-word?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:45 PM

Answers

• Check the paragraph margins of the text in the cell. It looks to me like you have a negative right indentation.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by Alan Brobst Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:56 PM

All replies

• Check the paragraph margins of the text in the cell. It looks to me like you have a negative right indentation.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by Alan Brobst Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Brilliant, thanks Hans!

Alan K. Brobst

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:01 PM
  • THANK YOU!! Finally, someone's advice that worked!! I can finish my report and stop trying to fix my table!!
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:16 PM