IE9 downgrade to IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• Very strange thing has happened. I removed IE9 Beta as it was restarting randomly, even on google.ie main search page. This gave me the IE8 downgrade I assumed would happen. However, after powering off my machine for the 2nd time for the weekend after this downgrade. IE8 would not start . I lost my desktop settings and my registry became corrupt. After checking various locations in Technet and the web ,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforwin7 seemed the most likely fix. I checked the Windows installed options and found the list empty. When I try to reinstall IE9 I get a catastrophic error. I am running Symantec Endpoint, and switched this off and on as per the KB related to IE9 / IE8 problems. I am running Windows 7 PRO on a Company Domain. My system restore contains no restore points bar the initial one set up after Windows 7 installation in March, even though System restore was on. In desparation, I deleted, in safe mode, my Internet Explorer directory below PRogram files, but even this made no difference. Any assistance would be appreciated. I have had 25 years of sys admin ( uncertified, sorry :-( ) , and this has me stumped.

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I am going with a Windows 7 problem before IE issue

Louis

P.S. : I meant to add that I had no issues with IE8 prior to moving to IE9 Beta. Mo malware or virus activity of any sort either on network or machine. All services packs and updates installed. Win 7 Pro 32 bit on Quad core intel 4 gb. NO disk errors. And no tools or otherwise to help across the internet.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:40 AM

Answers

• Leo,

None of the above worked, but after scouring the web, and with a bit of investigating this is what hixed my problem.

Goto : http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06 and search for fix blank or empty windows . Here he gives a very good explanation of how to search and remove the offending registry items, thanks Raymond.

When I restarted , I can sfc /scannow and restarted again, and presto, my windows features were back, but then discovered that Windows ie9 is an installed update but did not appear , so

Delete the Microsoft Silverlight application in Microsoft installed updates. rename the internet expolrer directory in program files to internet explorer 2, ( it will be left behind once completed repair) . restart machine again. Log on with Admin rights, and re-install ie9 , it might fail again, but run Windows update, and then shutdown tweice and restart. During the final shutdown, you should get a installing updates message before shutting down .

Surprise, surprise, ie9 is back, although it still falls over. Check your internet explorer directory is populated in program files. Run Windows update and all should be good.

A solution for all I hope, let me know if it works for you

• Edited by Louis_c Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:08 PM update and solution
    • Marked as answer by Louis_c Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:08 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

After checking your issue, it seems the issue related with IE8, try to fix IE8 follow the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If the issue persists, and you can’t perform a system restore, please try to use an installation disk to repair your system:

1)    Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2)    When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)    Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4)    Click Repair your computer.

5)    Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6)    On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Leo,

None of the above worked, but after scouring the web, and with a bit of investigating this is what hixed my problem.

Goto : http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06 and search for fix blank or empty windows . Here he gives a very good explanation of how to search and remove the offending registry items, thanks Raymond.

When I restarted , I can sfc /scannow and restarted again, and presto, my windows features were back, but then discovered that Windows ie9 is an installed update but did not appear , so

Delete the Microsoft Silverlight application in Microsoft installed updates. rename the internet expolrer directory in program files to internet explorer 2, ( it will be left behind once completed repair) . restart machine again. Log on with Admin rights, and re-install ie9 , it might fail again, but run Windows update, and then shutdown tweice and restart. During the final shutdown, you should get a installing updates message before shutting down .

Surprise, surprise, ie9 is back, although it still falls over. Check your internet explorer directory is populated in program files. Run Windows update and all should be good.

A solution for all I hope, let me know if it works for you

• Edited by Louis_c Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:08 PM update and solution
    • Marked as answer by Louis_c Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:08 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:12 AM