none
Javascript in IE no longer working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I have a Windows server 2012 R2 with what I believe has a problem with Javascript and Internet Explorer.  If I go to certain web sites, they appear blank & I’ll see in the lower right and corner of the Internet Explorer window “javascript;”.  Other symptoms include pressing F12 and getting a blank page for developer tools, going various websites and the buttons are either missing or don’t “click” when I press them.  Outside of Internet Explorer, if I go into gpedit or the services mmc, the Extended tab on these utilities do not display anything other than a partially filled window with solid color or it’s blank.  If I click on the Standard tab of these apps, all is good.

I’ve searched for possible solutions & did the following:

1.       With the exception of the latest MS April patch, I’m up-to-date.
    2.       Re-registered the following .dlls:  mmcndmgr.dll, vscript.dll, jscript.dll & jscript9.dll
    3.       Turned off IE Enhanced Security  for both Administrators & Users
    4.       Made sure Javascript was enabled in IE security settings
    5.       Turned off Windows firewall- didn’t buy me anything so I turned it back on

I’m not sure when this started happening.  For what it’s worth, I installed Firefox and had no problem with the website that gave me grief in IE.  Anti-virus has been removed; in fact my suspicions lie with the trial version of McAfee SaaS that was on this server.  I followed instructions to remove the produce properly, including using their un-install app in  “run as Administrator” mode.

Many articles that I read state to uninstall IE & re-install it to resolve this issue; unfortunately 2012 R2 comes with IE11 already installed, so I’m at a loss.

Looking forward to some excellent advice!

-          Dan

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:10 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I had a time deadline that prevented me from trouble-shooting further.  I instead re-installed the OS.  Everything is working fine now.

Really wish I had time to find out what happened.  Thank you all for your suggestions.

- Dan

• Marked as answer by DRock777 Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Silly question but have you tried un-installing any updates that has been installed?? I had a similar problem with Windows 2008 Server, I had to remove the last updates as they caused a conflict with the config I had set up at the time.

I cant garantee this will work in your case but its worth a try, also you could always roll out Chrome or Firefox instead of IE via GPO?? or you could always uninstall Java and re-install an older version??

I hope I have helped?

Mike

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Mike -

Thanks for your reply!

I did not uninstall any updates as I have another 2012 R2 server at the same patch level that does not exhibit these symptoms.  Also, I'm not sure what patch(s) to uninstall; this server was created about a month ago & I installed many patches at once.

Unfortunately, I need IE because of it's ActiveX abilities, so just relying on Firefox/Chrome isn't an option.

Good thought on Java-- in fact I did that already & forgot to mention it.  D'oh!

I appreciate your thoughts Mike; maybe it'll come down to removing patches if I can get a hint as to which ones to remove first.

Anyone else have ideas?

- Dan

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:35 PM
  • If I go to certain web sites, they appear blank & I’ll see in the lower right and corner of the Internet Explorer window “javascript;”. 

Other symptoms include pressing F12 and getting a blank page for developer tools, going various websites and the buttons are either missing or don’t “click” when I press them. 

What about particular sites, this one, for example?  Lots of JavaScript required to make it work.

Ditto for your F12 symptom.   Does F12 work with this page?  Any "buttons" missing here?  (In the Edit frame for example.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:34 AM
    Answerer
  • Robert -

I have problems using the Microsoft Forums on this server as well.  For example, the “Quick access” dropdown on the left is there, my mouse pointer turns to a finger when I hover over it, but when I click on it nothing happens.

The F12 function doesn't work on this site either.  Furthermore I can go to Google's site (which seems to work) but pressing the F12 key gives me the same broken results:  a blank frame on the bottom portion of the browser that only has the question mark, the greater than sign, the “frame to Window” button or x to close the frame in the upper right corner of the frame.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have these problems on another Windows 2012 R2 Server at the same location.

Any ideas or other items to clarify?  Thank you for your interest, Robert.

- Dan

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:37 PM
  •  I don’t have these problems on another Windows 2012 R2 Server at the same location.

Perhaps you have converted that one to act better as a "work station"?  What about EPM for a start and Compatibility View for a start?  (While testing another incident today I noticed that toggling Use Microsoft's Compatibility... it caused an unexpected refresh of forum pages.)

Oh.  Eric has a suggestion I had overlooked before:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2014/03/17/internet-explorer-windows-server-enhanced-security-configuration-esc-html5-video-playback.aspx

In Powershell

<quote>

enter the following two commands:

Import-Module ServerManager

Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

</quote>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Robert -

Both of these servers are in "workstation" mode.

EPM is disabled & Compatibility mode turned on or off doesn't correct the problem.

I read Eric's article and in Powershell entered the two commands listed above.  The commands were executed successfully, but a re-boot was not required-- I have a suspicion that I had previously installed Desktop-Experience.  I re-booted anyway but I am still experiencing this problem.

Thank you again for your suggestions.  Any other thoughts/ideas?

- Dan

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Any other thoughts/ideas?

Well, when you have two otherwise identical scenarios, one working and one not, it is useful to trace both with ProcMon and compare the traces for their essential differences.  You can filter coarsely until  you find a divergence, e.g. using just Process and Thread, to see what modules are being used, and then refine with the preceding registry and file accesses which presumably played a part in producing that difference.

Also, have you tried creating a new account, to see if the problem is not completely with your machine but just with your account?  Then you could trace both of those cases too.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the suggestions Robert.

I'll let you know what I find.

- Dan

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Unfortunately, I had a time deadline that prevented me from trouble-shooting further.  I instead re-installed the OS.  Everything is working fine now.

Really wish I had time to find out what happened.  Thank you all for your suggestions.

- Dan

• Marked as answer by DRock777 Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 PM