Collaborating on Documents with Multiple Users in SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greetings Everyone!
    Need help creating a SharePoint 2007 form/document that allows ALL team members of my organization to input their worked hours on a weekly basis, is there a easier way to create a document which requires input from multiple users( team members) for our weekly status meetings?

I created a excel document but when all the users started entering their information simoustanealy in SharePoint 2007, we contributed to messing things up... any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

wanda larangeira
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:06 PM

Answers

•  
    Greetings Rahul, thanks for your reply

I apologize for keeping bothering you but I am not all that familiar with Sharepoint, so I am having a hard time figuring out what to do in order to:

1. Delete all the columns that I don't need to use for that custom List,
            I am not sure how to do that, the only option I see is to not display the column.
    2. "Now let your users add values in it."
         I would like to do that via "MS Outlook" so I can pick everyone that belongs to my team
         via email and ask them to fill out a form. 

Is there a link or place I can go to follow directions for how to do that?
    Or maybe it is something that you could elaborate a bit more for me to understand?

Anyway I thank you very much for any time you might be able to spend on this

wanda larangeira
    • Edited by wandilly Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by wandilly Monday, November 21, 2011 6:30 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you to create SharePoint Custom List Library , instead of using a document library.

To create a List Library -- Goto -- Site Actions -- Create -- Select "List library" to create. Once it is created you can go ahead and add the required columns, so that every time users can go and enter the data on a Weekly basis.

Using document library will cause the conflict when more than one people are editing it.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Arun | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

When someone is editing a document it is locked for editing for others.

I would suggest you to create a custom list and use columns as working hours etc.

The entry added and modified by will be automatically tracked by columns Created By, Modified by.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:39 AM
  •  
    Greetings Arunraj and Rahul

Thank you so much for your responses. It really got me started and Appreciated very much
    Nevertheless, I am not sure how to move beyond the creation of the Custom Lists

you see, the manager needs that all 35 members of out team enter their worked descriptions and deliverables on a weekly base
    By creating the Sharepoint list, how can I accommodate  the information from all 35 group members on her excel spreadsheet?

Like My sharepoint is looking like in the attached word doc, on the first "screen print", is the created custom list 
    I also attached my manager's desired excel worksheet
    All she wants is everyone inputting the information in the worksheet...so I was wondering if you know what I am missing?
    Sorry, I am not familiar with sharepoint 

wanda larangeira
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hi Wandily,

First of all from the screenshot you provided shows that you are using SPS 2010 and not MOSS 2007.

Anyway I will tell you the way to get it done

1. Once you create the custom list create columns in it like excel.

2. Now let your users add values in it.

3. Once they completed export the list as excel.

4. In the datasheet view delete all values so that it will be ready for next use.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:28 AM
  •  
    Greetings Rahul, thanks for your reply

I apologize for keeping bothering you but I am not all that familiar with Sharepoint, so I am having a hard time figuring out what to do in order to:

1. Delete all the columns that I don't need to use for that custom List,
            I am not sure how to do that, the only option I see is to not display the column.
    2. "Now let your users add values in it."
         I would like to do that via "MS Outlook" so I can pick everyone that belongs to my team
         via email and ask them to fill out a form. 

Is there a link or place I can go to follow directions for how to do that?
    Or maybe it is something that you could elaborate a bit more for me to understand?

Anyway I thank you very much for any time you might be able to spend on this

wanda larangeira
    • Edited by wandilly Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by wandilly Monday, November 21, 2011 6:30 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:14 PM