Hundreds of sleeping SQL connections RRS feed

• Question

• I'll looking into find why I have hundreds of sleeping sql connections to my search_DB

SharedServices1_Search_DB.dbo.proc_MSS_Crawl;1

Is this normal to have so many?  I'm also seeing a preformance issue as well, could they be related?  Any insight would be great.  Thank you

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Wayne Fan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Hey Chris,

Which version of SharePoint are you running currently?

Thanks,

ScottC - Microsoft SharePoint Support

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Scott,

I'm running Sharepoint 2007 Enterprise.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Hey Chris,

100-400 sleeping SQL connections first of all would not cause a performance issue. I do not believe that they are related.

It is the normal behavior in SQL Server to kill completely idle connections after 15 minutes. To know if we have something truly abnormal happening, we would need to check the status of the sleeping connections.

The way we can check this in SQL is by executing the following in a new query window:

select * from sys.dm_exec_connections

In this table, you will find the time of the connection, the last read, and the last write. This will let us know if the connections are truly sleeping, and if they have passed the 15 minute threshold.

Thanks,

ScottC - Microsoft SharePoint Support

• Marked as answer by ScottC - MSFT Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:33 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Scott,

I see that I have about 2,300 connections over the 15min threshold.  So they are all sleeping.. that seems unusual.  The strange thing from a preformace aspect is that it seems to happen only when I go to the site for the first time then it's alot faster clicking through the site.

Any help would be great.  Thank you

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:16 PM