New WSUS Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently had a go at setting up a WSUS server for the first time. I have now got the role installed, the GP is applied and I can see Computers and it has all synced up etc. Except it seems slow and does keep crashing and I have to 'Reset Server Node'. I followed the Technet install guide and throughout the wizard generally left all settings as their defaults.

At the moment WSUS has just crashed again as I am trying to move computers into a new group (get the red no entry icon) and has now come back to life again. The server isn't doing much, just running an SQL database for a software package at low utilisation. I have moved the update store to the local machine today, to try and eliminate that.

Do I need to configure anything else?

Friday, June 19, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• what are the specs of your server?

so is WSUS using that SQL server's DB or did you deploy it using the free internal database option?

is SQL capped to use a specific amount of the server's memory or is it set to take as much as it wants?

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you run the server cleanup wizard? If no, please please try to run it.

Also, when the RAM of the server is exhausted, this issue may occurs. SQL may occupy a lot of RAM.

If the RAM is not exhausted, please try to remove the files under the path below:

%appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:52 PM

All replies

• what are the specs of your server?

so is WSUS using that SQL server's DB or did you deploy it using the free internal database option?

is SQL capped to use a specific amount of the server's memory or is it set to take as much as it wants?

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you run the server cleanup wizard? If no, please please try to run it.

Also, when the RAM of the server is exhausted, this issue may occurs. SQL may occupy a lot of RAM.

If the RAM is not exhausted, please try to remove the files under the path below:

%appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:52 PM