none
Very specific group policy for IE 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Got a very interesting GPO I need created. I need a GPO that forces all users on a certain machine to use InPrivate browsing at all times while they are using IE. Or even for a specific website. 

I have an application that has a bug that is fixed by using private browsing, weirdly enough. To limit problems with users saying "But I did use private browsing" I would ideally like to force the use of it while they are on the machine. If I have to apply it to a specific group, that will be fine too, but the end result needs to be private browsing they cannot turn off at all. 

Any suggestions? Open to Powershell solutions, or creative options. 

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Noah ,

The only group policy I have found related to the InPrivateBrowsing is this :
    User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Internet Explorer, Privacy and Turn off InPrivate Browsing
    But it is used to turn on /off the Inprivate Browsing feature and it can not be used to force the Inprivate Browsing .
    I am afraid the only good option is to create a shortcut for the user if you want the user to open the Internet Explorer in private browsing mode every time .

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you can configure the users group GPO settings so that iexplore.exe will 'emulate' InPrivate browsing's settings.

Disable all "third-party browser extensions" or adjust Allowed extensions to only allow approved IE Addons. eg. Search Toolbars are likely to leak users personal details and surfing history.

Delete browsing history on exit.

You can also disable any unwanted menu options like Tools>InPrivate Browsing.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 9, 2015 12:28 AM
  • Hi Noah,

We can run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -private" to open the Internet Explorer in Private Browsering mode .

How about deploying a GPP by creating a shorucut for the specific user to achieve this ?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:02 AM
  • Yeah, thats an idea I have thought of. I was hoping for more of a registry, or hands off approach, ideally. 
    Monday, April 13, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Unfortunately I need actual honest-to-god InPrivate. It has to do with the way IE stores cookies, not necessarilya user accessible function. 
    Monday, April 13, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Hi Noah ,

The only group policy I have found related to the InPrivateBrowsing is this :
    User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Internet Explorer, Privacy and Turn off InPrivate Browsing
    But it is used to turn on /off the Inprivate Browsing feature and it can not be used to force the Inprivate Browsing .
    I am afraid the only good option is to create a shortcut for the user if you want the user to open the Internet Explorer in private browsing mode every time .

Best regards

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:24 AM
  • Look... is this...

Abs Eduardo Popovici |MTI|MCT|MCSA|MS|MCTS| www.htbraz.com.br

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Eduardo, you are a genius.

I've spent hours searching for this resolution.

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:14 PM