security tool RRS feed

• Question

• My husband downloaded security tool because he was afraid he had all those trojans.  Now I can't get into msconfig on his XP machine to get rid of it and the 3 finger salute doesn't open anything either.  I'm smart enough to find this website but am certainly no IT genious.  I don't want to mess up the machine any more than it already is, so what do I do now, PLease please.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• What is the name of the tool he downloaded? If the tool advertised itself, that might be exactly the trojan. Try malwarebytes. org and scan your computer with that. If task manager is supressed that means you have a bug on your computer. So use malwarebytes to scan your computer.

You should try to also create a new user profile to scan the computer from there. Just create a new user account, and use it. Then you can use process explorer as task manager is it is suppressed. so look for sysinternals wit any search engine like google.

You can also download spybot search and destroy to scan your computer for malware. You might also need a computer novice book. search "the computer manual" with quotation on google.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:05 PM