Vista won't startup after latest updates - "starting" forever RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell D630 with Vista SP1 64-bit (native install,not upgrade install, and yes, Vista SP1 64-bit is supported on this hardware). It has been working very well. Last night I went ahead and let Windows Update install the new updates from the past week or so. This morning I rebooted as requested. When Vista started backup, it stayed on the black screen forever with the animated scroll bar with no hard drive activity. After about an hour I powered it down manually (holding the power button for 5 seconds) and then rebooted. I have had this exact problem in the past and it has always started up on the second boot.

However, this time it did not -- I had the exact same problem (it never finishes starting up, just hangs in the black screen with the animated scroll bar - which continues to scroll, with no more hard drive activity). I did this several times in a row.

Finally out of desperation I told it to try and start from the Last Known Good Configuration. This resulted in the same problem. On the second attempt from Last Known Good Configutation, however, it booted quickly and then went into a screen of completing some updates.

Of course, now I am afraid to ever reboot it again, much less install Windows updates anymore. If it ever crashes it will cost me a great deal of time and money.

Does anyone know what can cause this problem and how it can be permanently resolved?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:41 PM