Address multiple on-premise datacenter RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer, which has on-premise Exchange-Server in Asia and in Europe (same AD-Forest, same Exchange-Org). Without FOPE (or EOP...) we would implement a MX-Record for each continent. Which mechanisms do exist through FOPE (EOP) to address more than one customer-datacener (Europe, Asia, same namespace)? It sould be at least possible that FOPE would address the other datacenter in case of a site-failure. Best case would be, if FOPE would be capable to determine the right datacenter based on the recipient-address.

What is possible?

Regards,

Reto Krebs, Solutions Architect, Fonstone AG, Switzerland

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there is only one MX-record for FOPE which is mail.messaging.microsoft.com. This MX-record points to all datacenters all over the world. So if one datacenter would fail another one is taken to deliver the email. Due to the configuration is replicated all over the world it doesn't matter if one datacenter fails.

To deliver emails according to their domain to the right continent onpremise Exchange server you can set the mailserver FOPE should deliver the mail to.

Let's say you have the two domains asia.domain.tld and ch.domain.tld. Your public IP addresses of your on premise Exchange servers are 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2. If you have configured those domains in FOPE you can configure the mailrouting for each domain. If asia.domain.tld has 1.1.1.1 and ch.domain.tld has 2.2.2.2 as on premise Exchange sever FOPE delivers the emails to the according mailserver.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Hi Christian

Thanks for these information. I have to be more precise: we have one primary mail-domain which we would like to share globally. So in an environment without FOPE we would play with multiple MX-Recores and their weights to more or less distribute the traffic e.g. between Asia and Europe.

How would FOPE behave in this case? Would the traffic for a namespace shared among continents be always targeted to the same datacenter, e.g. Europe or vice-versa? What options do exist?

Cheers,

Reto

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

ok, you have only one e-mail-domain for all your branches over the world.

FOPE hasn't any priorities in MX records there is only one that points to mail.messaging.microsoft.com. This MX record points to all datacenters all over the world so if one datacenter would fail the message will be delivered over another datacenter, because there is no fixed inbound datacenter. I don't know if there is a mechanism in round robin to deliver the IP address that is the nearest to your server or country, but it wouldn't make sense to me to submit an email to the datacenter in Asia when my server is in the US.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

I think, I have understood the routing to mail.messaging.microsoft.com and its redundancy. Our intention is basically not to round rob between "continental mail-entrypoints" - we would rather have control over e.g. Asia-mails route from FOPE to the Asisa-Customer-Datacenter and Europe-mails route from FOPE to the Europe-Datacenter.

Do you have an idea who could provide such detailed information regarding such a FOPE-Implementation? In the meantime we are also thinking about a "tranditional" solution by routing to just one customer-datacenter and then re-route the stuff internally....

Cheers,

Reto

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:11 PM
  • I found in the meanteime the relevant hint:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg430178.aspx

Cheers,

Reto

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:48 PM