Files getting deleted on FTP Server -Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• First off I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question. I tried answers.microsoft and they sent me here....

I don't know what's exactly happening and can use some help in trying to figure this out. Basically when I use an FTP client (have tried multiple) and edit a file directly on the server using Dreamweaver or even Notepad, I sometimes loose that file on the remote server after my computer goes to sleep or I shutdown.

I have tried different approaches to avoid this from happening but nothing is working. I edit the files. I can see the changes made over an HTTP connection. I have closed the files in the editor and disconnected from the server but when I open my laptop back up again the files are no longer on the remote server. This has happened on several different servers through different hosting companies using different FTP clients and editors so I'm thinking this is on Windows.

But I have no way that I know of on how I can trace this issue locally. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or now of a way to begin to troubleshoot this?

UPDATE: Going through my server FTP logs I did notice one item that stood out. (This server is not very active so logs are not that large or processed frequently). It seems that when I first opened my laptop this morning a transfer request was sent to the server and it is marked incomplete. I didn't open any FTP client or editor at that time, is there some sort of queue I'm not aware of? This is all confusing, I have at times hit refresh on a remote server window only to see files disappear.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm if you have only one Windows 8.1 laptop which cause this issue. If so, check if other Windows 8.1 computers has the same issue.

We can try following way to audit the delete action on FTP server to see who did this action:

On your FTP server, please use GPO to configure audit:

1. Click on the Start button, type Local Security Policy and press Enter.

2. Expand Security Settings > Local Policies > Audit Policy > and double click on Audit Object Access.

3. Tick on the Success checkbox and click OK.

4. Right click on the shared folder that you want to monitor and select Properties.

5. Go to Security tab and click the Advanced button.

6. Go to Auditing tab and click the Edit button.

7. Click the Add button, type EVERYONE at the object name box and click OK.

8. An auditing entry window will open allowing you to log the actions that you want. If you want to monitor deletion of files and folders, simply tick the “Delete subfolders and files” and “Delete” successful checkboxes. Do not tick everything because that will easily fill up the event logs making it harder for you to audit.

Then, please try to repro your issue, then check the event log under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Expand Windows Logs and click on Security.

You may see events like below:

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:42 AM
  • I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner I didn't realize someone had written. I only have the one laptop, I'll look into this further shortly today. Thank you for your time!

UPDATE, okay this is a little over my head and I'm not sure I have access to what you're requesting. This involves commercial shared hosting accounts, both shared and individual containers actually. It's happening on client's websites that are hosted with GoDaddy, MediaTemple, and BlueHost which is why I pinned the issue on my end. I figured based on the incomplete flag that was thrown with that transfer that somehow when I awoke the laptop that it fired off a trigger to finish some sort of queue or something. 

Since to edit these files it has to download a copy into a temp folder, is it possible that if the temp files/folders are not removed at disconnect that they're refreshed or pinged when I wake the computer up and that triggers an incomplete transfer?

• Edited by paryguy Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:25 PM further investigation
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:20 PM
  • I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner I didn't realize someone had written. I only have the one laptop, I'll look into this further shortly today. Thank you for your time!

UPDATE, okay this is a little over my head and I'm not sure I have access to what you're requesting. This involves commercial shared hosting accounts, both shared and individual containers actually. It's happening on client's websites that are hosted with GoDaddy, MediaTemple, and BlueHost which is why I pinned the issue on my end. I figured based on the incomplete flag that was thrown with that transfer that somehow when I awoke the laptop that it fired off a trigger to finish some sort of queue or something. 

Since to edit these files it has to download a copy into a temp folder, is it possible that if the temp files/folders are not removed at disconnect that they're refreshed or pinged when I wake the computer up and that triggers an incomplete transfer?

Hi,

Have you make these files available offline? I think we can try to enable offline files.

Enable / Disable Offline Files in Windows 8
    https://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/11/enable-disable-offline-files-in-windows-8/

Once you make file available offline, it will not just catch a temp, but a complete download version, and sync up the changes after you connect to the network driver again.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:32 AM