Catch 22 with .NET framework 4.5 during Sharepoint 2013 deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have a standalone HP Server with Windows 2012 R2 foundation and I have run in to a catch 22 situation with SharePoint 2013 Foundation and I can't get past the setup!

I searched forums without success and any advice or workaround would be very much appreciated!

The SharePoint prerequisite installation was finally passed after removing the redundant semicolon in the environment variable PSmodulePath which cause system to reboot repeatedly. The pre prerequisite installation claims that .net framework 4.5 is already in place which it seems to be according the server dashboard add/remove roles and functions tool as well, and as it is also required for the AD, etc.

The SharePoint setup however will not continue and says that .net framework 4.5 is missing!?

I already have tried NetFxRepairTool and hotfix KB2925384-v4-x64 with no effect!

The background is that SharePoint actually was up and running 2 weeks ago, but since I had no previous experience with SharePoint, I used my normal Admin account for the setup and did not research enough to understand and configure the recommended accounts prior to the first deployment, quite stupid though!

Then I got errors repeatedly from the SPTimerV4 service that requires an exclusive account. It became worse after a SharePoint security update and I could not run the SharePoint configuration wizard through step 9 out of 10 with “PostSetupConfigurationTaskException” in the log. I also had error from the SPUCWorkerProcessProxy.exe in the dashboard and I believe some of these problems also may be related to the fact that the Admin password is changed every 30 days, and possibly made login to some of the services impossible for the system?

I finally decided to start all over and uninstall as much as possible and now do the reinstallation correctly in accordance with 1150-page Deployment guide for SharePoint 2013 this time! I have now set up the required exclusive accounts in AD and was prepared for a second deployment.

All software and services can unfortunately not be removed up front, since some are part of the operating system and also used by other applications, which for instance applies to .net framework 4.5!

I still have the SQL 2014 Express server in place, it seems healthy with all the databases used by SharePoint, but I have not so much hope in recovering any of the SharePoint pages I already made, but I did not really see any reason to remove it! 

Some problems are of course related to my lack of experience, but still there are a lot of issues with the SharePoint deployment that Microsoft really need to handle with a service pack or a hot fix! Building installation packages requires thorough craftsmanship and considerations. Obviously a lot went wrong here, causing it professionals many issues with the SharePoint installation. Reinstallation of Windows should not be an option that needs to be considered when an application gets corrupt!

Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Bengt,

From your description, after you install SharePoint and run configuration, an exception throws.

Per my research, if you want to install SharePoint 2013 with SQL server 2014, it requires the SharePoint 2013 SP1 and May 2014 CU for SQL server  to be installed. Make sure you already install them then compare the result.

For more details about Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2013, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.15).aspx

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bengt Storberg Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:48 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 10:57 AM

All replies

• I found that the setup fot SharePoint 2013 is not compatible with Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB3102467) so I uninstalled it and it helped me to get past the catch 22 situation and I was able to install SharePoint again!

Later the configuration failed with (some words translated from Swedish):

"Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeCompatibilityException: A SharePoint-object [SPContentDatabase Name=SharePoint_AdminContent_6aa40d44-9734-475a-8ab0-2400372690f9] is in a condition not supported and could not be used by the particular server Group"

Any advice or workaround would be very much appreciated!

Sunday, January 31, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Hi Bengt,

From your description, after you install SharePoint and run configuration, an exception throws.

Per my research, if you want to install SharePoint 2013 with SQL server 2014, it requires the SharePoint 2013 SP1 and May 2014 CU for SQL server  to be installed. Make sure you already install them then compare the result.

For more details about Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2013, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.15).aspx

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bengt Storberg Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:48 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 10:57 AM
  • Hi Aaren,

I installed SharePoint 2013 foundation with Service pack 1 but I never reinstalled .NET Framework 4.6.1 again since it was in conflict with the setup program. I suppose it can/ought to be reinstalled again after the SharePoint installation? I have never installed any hotfix or cumulative update package for SQL 2014 Express, but looking at the installation history I got Service pack 1 installed, which then should include the May 2014 cumulative update you are referring to.

The available updates from Microsoft seems to be:

• Cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2014 (12-June-2014)
    • Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2014 (28-July-2014)
    • Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2014 (13-Aug-2014)
    • Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2014 (15-Oct-2014)
    • Cumulative update package 5 for SQL Server 2014 (12-Dec-2014)
    • SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (14-May-2015) which includes up to cumulative update package 5
    • Cumulative update package 6 for SQL Server 2014 (29-Jan-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 7 for SQL Server 2014 (31-Mars-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 8 for SQL Server 2014 (6-June-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 9 for SQL Server 2014 (28-July-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 10 for SQL Server 2014 (26-Sept-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 11 for SQL Server 2014 (1-Dec-2015)

I assume it would be a good idea to install the Iatest hotfix! 

I started the SharePoint configuration with the SharePoint databases still in SQL server from the previous installation which originally worked, but I am afraid that the SharePoint configuration wizard expects empty databases when first run after SharePoint installation. And there also was a message “database was not empty” either in dashboard or in the log, I'm not sure. 

I have a backup of the SQL server databases, and maybe it is better to start off with a clean installation with both SharePoint and SQL server. And then perhaps I can try to make a backup of the clean installation, secondly try to recover the old backup and the revert back to the new backup or start all over again if it doesn’t work?

It feels important to find a viable way to backup and recover whats in SharePoint, if anythings goes wrong or if migration to further servers in the farm will be necessary in the future!

/Bengt

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:00 AM
  • I decided to start off with a clean installation for both SQL Server 2014 and SharePoint 2013. I have now reinstalled the SQL server 2014 express with SP1 and then I also understood that the cumulative updates take another parallel path once you have installed the service pack. I could not use consecutive updates describe in my previous post, instead I installed the latest update from 2 December 2015 per below.

• Cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 (12-June-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 (28-July-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 (11-Oct-2015)
    • Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 (02-Dec-2015)

Then I continued with a clean and successful installation of SharePoint 2013 with SP1 again.

I also found further information about “SharePoint 2013 Setup error if the .NET Framework 4.6 is installed” on Microsoft support pages (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087184) so in fact I was able to go past the catch 22 situation which was the original reason for this thread!

I then continued with SharePoint configuration and was after some adjustments to the accounts authorities in line with the deployment guide able to successfully configure SharePoint. I was also able to setup functionallity and did backup SharePoint several times actually, as I add back again was previously exists in SharePoint.

It’s working fine but still have some issues with the Service accounts to deal with, but that is another story!

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Aaren

I tried all of this and still get the same error. When I try to manually install .NET 4.5, it says that it is already part of the operating system, the prerequisites run fine (says .NET 4.5 is already installed - no action taken), but the setup dies and says it needs .NET 4.5.

The highest build number in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 (and the 32 bit folder) is 4.0.30319.

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2, a separate server with SQL Server 2012 v11.0.6020. The installation download for SharePoint 2013 is en_sharepoint_server_2013_with_sp1_x64_dvd_3823428.iso.

I'm completely stumped. If you have any further ideas, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!

Gary

G. Steele

• Edited by GMSteele Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Gary,

The problem I had stems around the Prerequisite Installer for SharePoint 2013.  It looks for the .NET Framework 4.5, which is built-in to Windows Server 2012 R2.  However, the .NET Framework 4.6.x is not a side-by-side install.  It overwrites the .NET Framework 4.5.x, making it appear to be missing to the Prerequisite Installer.

I had success by removing the .NET Framework 4.6.1 update first.  You can do this in Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, View installed updates (in left menu), and then find 'Update for Microsoft Windows (KBKB3102467)' and uninstall it.

You should then get past the error that the .NET Framework 4.5 is not installed.

Be sure that you have internet access, and the server is configured to get updates from the internet (Windows Update) instead of a controlled WSUS (in case your IT team uses it to control updates).  This is very helpful because the Prerequisite Installer will download anything it needs (including Windows Server 2012 R2 components) from Windows Update.  The alternative is to manually download every prerequisite for SharePoint, and any dependencies for Windows Server 2012 R2, and install them individually...and painfully.

The only other issue I had was when the Prerequisite Installer tried to add the Application Server role to the server.  It would hang and eventually fail.  I had instant success by adding this role using Server Manager prior to running the Prerequisite Installer.  There is much more detail, and other options for getting past this hurdle, by searching for KB2765260 (sorry, I can't attach links).

When everything is done, you should be able to install SharePoint 2013, as well as any PU/CU you need. 

I would recommend manually downloading the .NET Framework 4.6.1 again, and applying it to your system when you have SharePoint 2013 installed.

You can download the .NET Framework 4.6.1 standalone installer by searching for KB3102467.

Good luck!

Jeff

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:54 PM