Vista credui.dll message ... RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows Vista Business SPII on a Dell 9200, dual core processor, 2 G memory about one and a half years - also using IE8 and OneCare.

After software update to Google Earth and Real Player - approx two hours later while computer was idle running only screen saver - generated a blue screen (first one) - did not get the error codes.  Computer restared normally but certain programs would not start.

Outlook 2007 would generate a credui.dll error and a day or so later, after bootup Windows would generate a EFS UI Application error - parts of OneCare was also effected.  Ran virus scan - nothing to report.  Upon examination, credui.dll file was found to be 0 bytes.

Found a backup copy of credui.dll on one of my drives - booted up from the DVD drive with the Windows Visita install disc - went into C:\ (the old DOS prompt) - renamed credui.dll and copied backup.  Restarted and back to normal (had to uninstall and reinstall OneCare).  System restore in Windows and in OneCare did not help - bootup into safe mode also did not help - corrupt credui.dll apparently would interfer with restore and safe mode.

Tested programs - seems to be normal - writing this after three hours of screwing around to fix this - I am a semi-retired website developer - very happy with Vista and OneCare for home computer - have installed in some of my clients.

Anyone have a problem with this credui.dll file?  Appears to be a credentials file used internally to open programs.  There did not seem to be an attack on Vista by a bot or a virus - there was a C drive error message at boot up that sent Vista into a disc check - nothing unsual when disc check ran (some orphaned files).

Ben

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:11 PM

All replies