none
DPM Recovery : Precautions after recovery. RRS feed

• Question

• Our DPM 2012 SP1 crashed on 15t Oct, however on 19th Oct I was able to restore DPMDB backup taken on 13 Oct.

DPM recovered but now number of jobs failing. I will run consistency check on them but, 30 jobs are showing running with start time of 13 October and time spent on these jobs are more than 190 Hours. Data transfed rate in these jobs are very less like 10 to 50 MB in 5-6 hours. 

Other jobs are running in background but what to do with these jobs, This is not allowing me to run consistency check and synchronization against failed jobs.

DPM Console is hanging and doesn't allowing/showing running jobs other than these 30 Jobs.

I dont want to cancel them as DPM crashed due to this last time I tried to cancel long lasting jobs which failed DPM console.

Any suggestion. Any blog, forums stating precautions must be taken after DPM recovery?

Thanks 

• Edited by V Jay Rana Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you run the DPMSYNC -SYNC command after restoring the database ?   If you modify the protection group, that should cancel all running jobs and remake new schedules.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi Mike

Just confirmed, DPMSYNC -SYNC wasn't run after DPMSYNC -RestoreDB. Recovery was run by another person who ran DPMSYNC -RestoreDB only. Can we run DPMSYNC -Sync right now by closing console as it is frozen (Doesn't allowing to do anything).  DPMSync -RestoreDB already was run. How much time it should take, DPMDB size is 15GB.

I just now opened Console with another domain user account as console hangs with my user domain account. Now I can see jobs running, status....but when I will modify anything or just even start consistency check, it will hang for unlimited time.

Elapsed time for these 30 Jobs has reached 185 hours, these are in progress but nothing is transferred since yesterday.

Is there any other way to cancel Jobs rather than using DPM management console? If I will force it through console, 99% chances are of crashing again.
    • Marked as answer by V Jay Rana Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by V Jay Rana Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:41 PM
    • Edited by V Jay Rana Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Someone, please advise on this.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:26 AM
  • You can use PowerShell to stop the Jobs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612794%28v=sc.20%29.aspx

Regards, Trinadh [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. If you found the reply helpful, please "MARK IT AS ANSWER". Looking for source of information for DPM? http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh758173.aspx

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Powrshell are executing properly, they are showing failed and succeded jobs only, No any job In Progress.

Looks like this is due to we didn't run DpmSync -Sync after DPMSync -RestoreDB.

Issue I am suspecting is, After re-installing DPM and SQL server, Boss attached directly .mdf to SSMS from e:\backups\restored\DBMDB.mdf. This wouldn't allowed us to run DPMSync -Sync ! Right?

I think this is strictly recommanded Defaault DPMDB to be placed at C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\DPMDB\MSDPM2012$DPMDB.mdf ? Right now E:\Backup\14-10-2014\MSDPM2012$DPMDB.mdf is directly attached to Instance. Which is failing DPMSync -Sync.

• Edited by V Jay Rana Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

You can run DPMSYNC -SYNC at anytime - that will perform many tasks (check agent permissions, rebuild schedules, check / consolidate recovery points, db maintenance etc.) and will also result in marking all replicas as inconsistent which will require CC on all data sources.

FYI - if using dpmsync -restoredb to restore .mdf file, you need to read this article.

KB6968666 Error ID: 470" when you run the dpmsync -restoredb command in Data Protection Manager 2012

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:46 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

I was getting error ID 412 when I was running DPMSync -Sync, however boss has started restoring DB again. Will put here if any error faced there. 

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:55 PM