Need help in configuration of the Monitor - logical disk free space monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys!!

I need help to understand and tweaking the parameters for this monitor -  logical disk free space monitor.

When i checked the alert configuration for this monitor , i found below:-

Error MBytes Threshold for System Drives: The default value is 300

• Error % Threshold for System Drives: The default value is 5

Error threshold in MBytes for the non system drives: The default value is 1000

• Error % Threshold for Non-System Drives: The default value is 5

So below are my question is on

1. what basis does it calculate the percentage?

2. Our client , dont want to monitor logical disk space with MBytes, they only want to get alerting when it cross the % threshold.is it possible to do that? They want us to exclude the MBytes thing. I couldn't find anything in override apart from changing its value.

AD

Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:56 AM

Answers

• 1. what basis does it calculate the percentage?

It based on performance counter %FreeSpace

2. Our client , dont want to monitor logical disk space with MBytes, they only want to get alerting when it cross the % threshold.is it possible to do that? They want us to exclude the MBytes thing. I couldn't find anything in override apart from changing its value.

I think that you should disable this monitor, logical disk free space monitor, and then enable the monitor ,windows Server 2008 Logical Free Space(%) Low monitor, windows Server 2012 Logical Free space(%) Low monitor and windows Server 2016 Logical Free Space(%) Low monitor.

roger
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Hi AD,

agree with Roger, the monitor is based on the performance counter "% FreeSpace" 

It is very important to say  that in order for the alerting to work you need to be over both thresholds: FreeMB and % FreeSpace. This is also written in the monitor's description:

"Monitor the percentage free space and number of free MBytes remaining on a logical disk. Only when both the low percentage free space threshold and low number of free MBytes threshold is the disk flagged as having low disk free space."

You can either use the unit monitor and verride for your servers it as Roger suggested:

or you can use this cool management pack, which introduces your own custom monitor:

Sick of explaining to end users why they didn’t get a SCOM disk monitor alert?

Both options are fine. 

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:39 AM

All replies

• 1. what basis does it calculate the percentage?

It based on performance counter %FreeSpace

I think that you should disable this monitor, logical disk free space monitor, and then enable the monitor ,windows Server 2008 Logical Free Space(%) Low monitor, windows Server 2012 Logical Free space(%) Low monitor and windows Server 2016 Logical Free Space(%) Low monitor.

roger
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Hi AD_SC,

For Question 2 find the unit monitor which is generated the error (from the left pane you can see View or edit the settings of this monitor) from the overrides Tab you can override you own settings

Regards

Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Hi AD,

agree with Roger, the monitor is based on the performance counter "% FreeSpace" 

It is very important to say  that in order for the alerting to work you need to be over both thresholds: FreeMB and % FreeSpace. This is also written in the monitor's description:

"Monitor the percentage free space and number of free MBytes remaining on a logical disk. Only when both the low percentage free space threshold and low number of free MBytes threshold is the disk flagged as having low disk free space."

You can either use the unit monitor and verride for your servers it as Roger suggested:

or you can use this cool management pack, which introduces your own custom monitor:

Sick of explaining to end users why they didn’t get a SCOM disk monitor alert?

Both options are fine. 

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

SO if I want to monitor only logical disk percent wise for few servers, i need to do the below things right:

So to monitor only % free space,  first i will disable the monitor "Windows 2003 Logical Disk Free Space Monitor" for that server and only enable the monitor "Windows Server 2003 Logical Disk Free Space (%) Low"

Is this approach right?

AD

Monday, March 18, 2019 4:12 AM
  • if you want to monitor only logical disk percent wise for few servers which OS are windows server 2003. You approach is correct. However, if not all servers OS is windows server 2003, you should disable related "Logical disk Free space monitor" and enable "Logical disk Free Space(%) Low monitor".

e.g.
    Purpose: monitor 3 servers, A, B and c, for monitor only logical disk percent. A and B is windows Server 2012 machine and C is windows Server 2003 machine.

Steps:

• disable windows 2003 Logical disk free space monitor for A and B.
    • disable windows 2012 Logical disk free space monitor for C.
    • enable windows server 2003 logical disk Free space(%) Low monitor for A and B.
    • enable windows server 2012 logical disk Free space(%) Low monitor for C.

roger

Monday, March 18, 2019 5:33 AM
  • HI,

Ok i will do this approach.

But when i see parameters,its showing system and non system drives thresholds. Please suggest, what is the difference between this.

AD

Monday, March 25, 2019 5:24 AM
  • they provides flexibility for different threshold for system drive and non-system drive. Let take C: drive containing all windows OS folder which is system drive. The other drive E;, F;, G; is non-system drive. if you want to set same for all dirve, you should use same override value for system and non-system drive.

Roger
    Monday, March 25, 2019 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for the info Roger.

So apart from C: drive , all are non system drive right?

AD

Monday, March 25, 2019 5:58 AM
  • Thanks for the info Roger.

So apart from C: drive , all are non system drive right?

AD

Hi AD,

that is correct. It could also be that your OS label has another drive letter, but this is very rare scenario.

Regards,

Monday, March 25, 2019 12:14 PM
  • Hi AD,

can we close this thread now? Did you get the answers needed? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:41 PM