none
Gantt chart - printing on single page RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 4 month construction schedule and want to print the full Gantt chart on one 24x36 sheet. As a stock MS Project file (.mpp), it comprises 6 different pages. My local print shop had to cut and paste them to create the full Gantt on a single page. How do you to set up the print or file (PDF?) to merge everything to be able to print it on a single page? thanks!  
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:14 AM

Answers

• It takes a bit of fiddling sometimes, but once done it's done.  Your computer should remember the settings. I would urge you to buy a copy of Adobe Acrobat (sadly, is kinda expensive) or FoxIt (much more affordable and just as good, far as I can tell, as Acrobat ... very much recommended by me).  

From Project "print" to one of these printer drivers withe page size set to as big as possible (even bigger than 24x36 works ok).  With Print Preview in Project make it show what you want on one page.  When happy, then print it to PDF. Open the PDF file with a PDF viewer (Acrobat, Foxit, or even Preview with a Mac) to confirm it worked.  

Give the PDF to your print shop and ask them to use the settings in their PDF viewer program to scale the print out to fit one piece of paper as in the printer, e.g. 24x36.

We often use this "scaling" of PDF to sheet paper sizes to print PDFs formatted for big sheets to smaller sheets, the converse, formatted to smaller sheets onto big sheets.  For example, we'll sometime output from PowerPoint Project to A3 paper and then enlarge to poster size A0 for conference room walls.

The "trick" in this, if there is a trick, is to use Project to make a PDF, and then use another program to manipulate and print the PDF.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:55 AM

All replies

• mcnameeco,

What do you mean by, "merge everything"?

There are several things you can do to get it on one page. One obviously is to set the print scale using Page Setup. Two is to adjust or eliminate some columns in the view. Three is to adjust the timescale to show less detail (e.g. weeks instead of days, or set the timescale count to skip every other month). Four is to collapse the task hierarchy to summary lines.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:42 AM
  • MC,

If you have Adobe installed you can select that as your printer.  In the Page Setup, on the Page tab, select the paper size "ARCH D" - that is 24 X 36.  Do a print Preview to ensure it has printed everything you want.

Hope this has helped.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:23 AM
  • It takes a bit of fiddling sometimes, but once done it's done.  Your computer should remember the settings. I would urge you to buy a copy of Adobe Acrobat (sadly, is kinda expensive) or FoxIt (much more affordable and just as good, far as I can tell, as Acrobat ... very much recommended by me).  

From Project "print" to one of these printer drivers withe page size set to as big as possible (even bigger than 24x36 works ok).  With Print Preview in Project make it show what you want on one page.  When happy, then print it to PDF. Open the PDF file with a PDF viewer (Acrobat, Foxit, or even Preview with a Mac) to confirm it worked.  

Give the PDF to your print shop and ask them to use the settings in their PDF viewer program to scale the print out to fit one piece of paper as in the printer, e.g. 24x36.

We often use this "scaling" of PDF to sheet paper sizes to print PDFs formatted for big sheets to smaller sheets, the converse, formatted to smaller sheets onto big sheets.  For example, we'll sometime output from PowerPoint Project to A3 paper and then enlarge to poster size A0 for conference room walls.

The "trick" in this, if there is a trick, is to use Project to make a PDF, and then use another program to manipulate and print the PDF.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the assistance, sounded like we had a solution. I do have Adobe 8 standard installed. Unfortunately there is no option for ARCH D with that version that I can find. I will keep looking.

Noel 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hello Rob,

Thanks so much! Is is a great resource for tech help. I understand what you are saying (just as Gregg did) that I need to buy the Adobe program which has the expanded paper size options available. I currently use the free version which gets me by for general document and photo work. Now the question is which Adobe program to buy.....I've called Adobe customer service to ask questions.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Noel 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hi John, Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm going to buy the Adobe program to manipulate the file to get the results I'm after. Will keep you posted.

Noel 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Good news...turns out Adobe 8 Standard is not a free program. The better news is the upgrade to Adobe X Pro was just $199 through Adobe's website. Per Adobe CS the ARCH D paper option was added to the X (10) version (it may also be in the 9 version but they couldn't confirm it). Plus the X version is IPO certified which I hear is the way things are headed.

I am confident that I will be able print the Gantt on a single page with all your help and suggestions. I will let you know once it arrives and I do a test.

Happy Holidays,

Noel 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:48 PM