emails not displaying properly in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• We have multiple end users that when they are in outlook they have some messages that show in white and then when they close the application or click open another message the white lines that are blank then show up with information. We have determined it is not an outlook client issue as we have reinstalled outlook 2007, recreated user mailbox profile in control panel and we have wiped two workstations and gave someone a new PC. We know it is something related to exchange mailbox itself but we are in a pickle as we have no idea what is causing this. We need assistance and I have attached a copy of a picture so you understand what it is doing to see what can be done to fix it.

The highlighted area with a red rectangle box you can see that there hsould be a person name and subject line and date time listed but it is just a white line. If we click on another message then close that message, the white lines then show up normally where it shows the recipient of who sent the email with subject line and date/time.

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:13 PM

All replies

• if you are receiving blank emails in Outlook, most likely you are not missing anything important, as these blank emails were originally spam or virus emails that got stripped by a zealous anti-virus or anti-spam software. To avoid them, simply configure your anti-virus software to a less severe email scanning level.

nothing wrong with your Outlook installation! Such blank emails are usually leftovers from an anti-spam / anti-virus filter that actions between Outlook and your mail server. For example, the McAfee Internet Security Suite sometimes generates such blank emails whenever it traps spam or virus emails (and you can avoid them only by uninstalling McAfee Internet Security). Also, AVG Anti-Virus’s E-mail Scanner can generate such blank emails, if it’s configured to scan and allow only certified emails.

Blank emails can also be generated by anti-spam services running on your mail server level. To avoid them, you have to check with your mail server administrator.

On special cases, these blank messages can be generated by encryption tools, such as PGP Desktop failing to decrypt the incoming message because of a conflict with a proxy server. On PGP Desktop, you can solve it by enabling the option “Use Email Proxy” in the Tools menu

Aditya Mediratta

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:33 PM
  • This is random issue. It is not a blank email that comes in. It is a legit email that a person sent to our employee and it is shows a recipient name, subject line, etc when another email comes in or you minimize outlook and then when you maximine it again, it put a white line on that random inbox emails that is shown in the picture attached to this. once you open compose a new email or click on a email message and close it, the email that has the white line goes away and shows the correct information such as recipient name, subject line, time email was sent, etc.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Is that behavior consistent in OWA?
    Monday, April 7, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Configure your anti-virus / Anti-spam software to a less scanning level and then update.

Aditya Mediratta

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the issue happens randomly even though you change the client.

And to narrow down the cause, I recommend the following troubleshooting:

1. Check if the user use online mode or cached mode. And check if other users come across the same issue.
    2. Check the problematic users mailbox size
    3. Check the application log and find if there is any related error.

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:00 AM
  • I have 3 users who have the issue and all are using windows 7 but have different models of computers. I formated two of the and issue is still happening. Users are using outlook in cache mode, the mailbox sizes are smaller then 2GB in size and there is nothing showing up in the application log. If there a way if I can see if there is errors with their mailbox itself or run a repair on the mailbox in exchange to see if that fixes it?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

To confirm if it is caused by the mailbox, we can check if the issue still exists through OWA.

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Angela Shi

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Issue does not reallyl seem to happen in OWA. It has to be something in the exchange mailbox as I have done everything possible on the machine including wiping a machine and giving a person a brand new work PC and issue is still happening
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, the mailbox may be corrupted.Thus, let's try the following detection and resolution:
    Detection: New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox <name> -DetectOnly
    Then we can check the event log and confirm the following event:

Thanks,

Angela Shi

• Edited by Angela Shi Monday, April 14, 2014 4:01 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 4:00 PM
  • I have tried command of New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox <name> -DetectOnly and issue still happens.

I do not see any of those event id numbers. Anything else we can try?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:01 PM