how would I setup a search Scope to search from a site to other sites RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that is asking if they gave me urls, as they do not think they have metadata or other search terms that can be added to the search.
    but I was wondering from a Site, can I put other URLs in to a Search Result Scope for that site to search for items with in those URLs?

They didn't give me more then URLs, they just want to be able to search with in the URL location,  How would i set that up?

Some of the Links they gave me, are to outside of the business internet. how would I connect a SharePoint search to the url of the buiness holding the info they want to search for.

• Edited by cowboy2066 Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:19 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi cowboy,

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by cowboy2066 Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:08 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2020 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi cowboy,

If the URL is from the same farm or different SharePoint Server farms, we could add a new “SharePoint sites” content source.

If the URL is other content on web sites on the Internet, we could create a “Web sites” content source to crawl and search.

Below articles for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/plan-crawling-and-federation#plan-to-crawl-different-kinds-of-content

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/add-edit-or-delete-a-content-source#:~:text=A%20content%20source%20is%20a,in%20the%20local%20server%20farm.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, June 5, 2020 6:08 AM
  • Actually i understand the internal connection SPS to SPS, what I am talking about is the external connection to sites that are out side of SharePoint like say  USA.GOV  how would I do that?

another item I was wondering about is how would I connect to  say an E:Drive where there are files stored there and they want to search it?  how would I set that up.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 11:14 PM
  • Hi cowboy,

As mentioned earlier, we could create a new content source using "WebSites" type as follows:

Then start a full crawl of this content source and check the crawl log:

When performing a search, relevant content will be displayed in the search results:

In addition, please refer to following article to create a file share as a search content source in SharePoint:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/1ce8ad/configure-sharepoint-2013-search-to-crawl-files-in-share-fol/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Julie

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:21 AM
  • In the above are you using the Site Search or are you using the Site Collection Search? or are you going to the Central Administration under Manage Service Applications and then to the Search?

Where are you doing the crawl at?  As I looked in the Site Collection Search items and I can not see where to do the crawl at, so where are you setting this up at?

As I went to the Central Admin Site to add the Search items.

When I added the outside sites to the search I got this error in the error log:

"This item could not be crawled because the repository did not respond within the specified timeout period. Try to crawl the repository at a later time, or increase the timeout value on the Proxy and Timeout page in search administration. You might also want to crawl this repository during off-peak usage times. "

I could not even get a result of the osha site.

https://www.osha.gov/

• Edited by cowboy2066 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:26 PM
  • Hi cowboy,

I use the search center(site collection search), you could also change the site search to "Everything".

Add the content source and do full crawl via Central Administration>Application management>Manage service applications> select Search Service Application.

For the error message, please increase the time out value on the Proxy and Timeout page in search administration or change the IE proxy settings via Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings. Uncheck ‘Automatically detect settings’.

Do a full crawl and check again.

Note: Increasing time out value causes a performance issue.

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25534.sharepoint-2013-troubleshooting-this-item-could-not-be-crawled-because-the-repository-did-not-respond-within-the-specified-time-out-period.aspx

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, June 11, 2020 9:34 AM
  • Hi cowboy,

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

• Marked as answer by cowboy2066 Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:08 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2020 7:49 AM
  • Your Answers helped some there were a few things that i needed to do alittle different,  but Sure.. I'll mark the last entry as answer
    Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:07 PM
  • Hi cowboy,

I am glad to know that this reply is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Julie

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:07 AM