none
Hyper-V Server Remote Management Ports RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Forefront TMG to management the security of the different networks that I have, and I am having an issue with this because I am trying to get from one network to another to use Hyper-V Remote Management, but I am unable to find a specific list of the different protocols and ports that Hyper-V server specifically needs to allow this to happen so that I can create the access rule that will allow this. Anything that anyone has found, can direct me to, or inform me about on this?
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dragonwanamage, your question belongs in the Hyper-V forums, but, It piqued my interest, so I read a bit and contacted a couple folks, so...

2179 for WMI-VMConnect

You will need to leave alot of the ports open for WMI to function. 

443 for the Hyper-V management tools

(I would think that RPC ports are needed due to working with other WMI apps)

You may be best serverd by establishing a 1 to 1 fw rule for that server to have access to the other subnet.

My understanding is that there are alot of ports in use, WMI, VM, your apps, and so forth.  There is a lot of information on the MSDN docs.  You may want to stand it up in a lab and selectivly look locking ports down and seeing what your results are.

At least its a start for you.

-- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Also, I wanted to mention on this that I have looked at this from a diagnostics logging perspective, and the issue that I am having is that I am not finding any traffic that goes to the Hyper-V server that states a port that is being used, just that there is traffic from the management client to the Hyper-V server over the Firewall Service, and was wondering if there was any other point that I might want to look for that information in.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Also, you may want to post this on the Hyper-V forums http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

They may have some more insight for you.

This is a non-MS tool, http://www.manageengine.com/free-hyperv-performance-monitor/free-hyperv-performance-monitor-index.html

I cannot speak to it's functionality, but I do see there are other monitoring vendors out there ramping up thier paid for tools, I would expect a SCOM monitoring would be a good start.

-- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, November 14, 2011 11:36 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:36 PM