How to get icon to mount on desktop for plugged in devices on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Friends:

When I plug in a flash drive or an external hard disk, how can i get its icon to automatically appear on the desktop?  (Thus avoiding a trip to "Computer" to examine it?  (Yes, I know a little window sometimes appears asking me what I want to do, but all I want is the icon to "mount" on the desktop.)

Thanks amigos,

Migs
    Friday, May 2, 2008 3:34 PM

All replies

• Migs

Interesting problem.

I don't know how to do this, by default? A shortcut to a drive would be defined by the drive letter. You can create a shortcut for a drive on the Desktop, and If that drive is always attached it would always have the same drive letter.

The problem is that, depending on the number of external hard/flash drives you have attached and the sequence that they are attached, they could be given a different drive letter?

If you have external hard drives permanently attached and you only use one flash drive at a time, you could create a shortcut for the flash drive on the Desktop and whatever flash drive you attached, would always use that same drive letter.

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button to the right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Hi Ronnie:

Thanks for the input.  This is something one takes as a "given" on other OS's.  I will search for an aftermarket solution!

All the best,

Migs
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 7:55 PM