none
Project Server 2013 - Cannot change project owner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having difficulty changing the project owner for a particular project.

Full permissions have been granted to the new project owner on the project. When I change to the new owner in the project PDP and select save, it saves but when I go back to project center and check, the old owner is still assigned.

When I try to change the project owner on other projects it works OK.

What could be the problem? How can I fix?

Thanks

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:57 AM

All replies

• Maybe try clicking off the field to another field before saving?  I've seen that in 2010 sometimes.  It seems that unless you click (and maybe edit) another field, it doesn't realize the owner has been changed.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Proposed as answer by Tomáš Szarka Monday, January 18, 2016 10:00 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Hello, there!

We have this problem on some projects.

To problem with owner - I can add that project description not saving in PWA2013 too.

I think problem is in project(schedule or details).

I tried save broken project in our test server and after save I cannot change owner.

In some projects saving in local xml-file and then restore project from this file - helped to change owner, but in some projects app ProjProf2013 is stop working in project restore from xml-file.

I tried to clear all project details or project schedule, or copy entire project schedule(u can do this in default Gannt Chart) to another project, tried to create project from existing project and e.t.c J

We have working “bulk edit tool” on ps2013 – its working very slowly (5min to select, 5min to edit project owner and 5min to save project after editing), but it helps to change project owner.

• Proposed as answer by bratgera Friday, August 16, 2013 5:48 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

I am having difficulty changing the project owner for a particular project.

Full permissions have been granted to the new project owner on the project. When I change to the new owner in the project PDP and select save, it saves but when I go back to project center and check, the old owner is still assigned.

When I try to change the project owner on other projects it works OK.

What could be the problem? How can I fix?

Thanks

Exactly the same problem here :( Everything with permissions looks OK, but for some reason the changes are discarded. The same issue for Project Description field too. All custom fields are updated w/o any problem.

Thanks

Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:34 AM
  • I'm noticed above - u can use workaround to this problem: change owner with bulk edit tool.

Bulk edit tool http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/store/bulk-edit-WA104110751.aspx

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:23 PM
  • HI,

I believe this issue was solved by one of the early CUs. 

what is your server's patch level? 

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Friday, October 18, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Same issue seen here.  From what i have seen:

- this is not resource specifc so we can rule out security

- it only impacts some projects

- current (October 2013 CU) server patch applied

Carl

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:56 AM
  • We have this same problem on some projects.

Please,  any help?

Roy Enriquez

Thursday, May 8, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

Not sure if this is still an issue for you.

I have tried and tested this on an environment I had this issue with. 

I upgraded to Service Pack 1 and the issue was resolved.

I read previously that this was fixed in a CU update however cannot recall which one, however Service Pack 1 will include this.

• Proposed as answer by Justin TCM Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:18 PM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hello,

I have tested this on one of my environments and this was resolved in a CU update.

I installed Service Pack 1 for SharePoint and Project server.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:11 AM
  • I am seeing the same problem at a client site.  They're using on premise Project Server 2013 patched to the October 2015 CU.  When we try to change the Project Owner on a project on the Project Details PDP, and save, close, and check it in, it defaults back to the Project Center view the way that the project reverts back to the Project Owner that was originally assigned to the project. 

However, if you modify the Project Owner on the Project Details PDP and simultaneously change the Project Owner AND another field for the project, even if it is adding an x in an ECF text field, and save, close, check-in the project, the Project Owner is successfully changed.

This appears to be a bug that has been reintroduced and needs corrected again.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:29 AM
  • We have a client that is using on premise Project Server 2013 and have been testing a similar issue where the Project Description is not able to be changed in the Project Details page when it is the only NON-ECF field changed.

The process tested is to change the Project Description in the Project Details page, save, close and check-in.  When opening  displaying the project page after the check-in the description has not changed.  I tested by changing the Project Description and and ECF with the same save, close, check-in steps.  The ECF update was persisted but the Project Description change did not save. 

I was able to get the Project Description to save, after check-in, only when changing the Project Title at the same time, such as adding a character at the end of the text.  I have not tested changing other NON-ECF fields but speculate that the Project Description may also save if I changed the Start Date, as an example.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:32 PM
  • We had the same problem with some of our projects and resolved it like this:

1. Edit the Project Details but don't change anything. Just click "Save"

2. Change the Project Owner and click "Save" again.

It's not logic but very simple. Hopes it works for all of you.

Friday, September 16, 2016 1:30 PM