SCSM Reviewer Workflows Race (Set Reviewer Vs. Notify Reviewer) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are experiencing an issue with Reviewer notification, where notifications are not being sent to a RA reviewers.  After investigating the issue, we noticed (from the RA History) that the RA status is changing to "In Progress", and then after almost a minute a Reviewer is set. And here is the issue!

Why is this behavior, and how to fix it?

Notes:

- SCSM version is 2016

- A Workflow is configured to notify Reviewer once a Review Activity status is updated from "does not equal to In Progress" to "equal to In Progress"

- Reviewer is not static (i.e. "Line Manage should Review" is selected)

Regards,

AQ

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When user create a new CR without editing the Review Activity “As they should be able to add reviewers later”. In this case the RA status changed to In Progress with empty reviewers, if you add reviewer later the WF criteria does not match and Reviewer will not get any notification.

I would like to suggest you check the article below for more details:

https://fawzi.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/notification-workflow-on-review-activity-assignment/

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Hello,

When user create a new CR without editing the Review Activity “As they should be able to add reviewers later”. In this case the RA status changed to In Progress with empty reviewers, if you add reviewer later the WF criteria does not match and Reviewer will not get any notification.

I would like to suggest you check the article below for more details:

https://fawzi.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/notification-workflow-on-review-activity-assignment/

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thanks.. But not related to my case.

My case is simply a Review Activity that comes as the first activity once a Service Request got created. This Review Activity has the "Line Manage should Review" selected. Hence I expect that the Line Manager should be notified. Well, he is not! Because (for some reason) the Review Activity status is changing to "In Progress" before the Reviewer is assigned to it

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Thanks.. But not related to my case.

That blog posts exactly describes your case. SCSM is backed by a workflow engine. There are many workflows that react to triggers. Your notification trigger is "review activity changes from not in progress to in progress". Another workflow reacts to the same trigger to add a reviewer to a review activity. However, there is no sequencing between the workflows that react to that same trigger..so sometimes you get the notification, sometimes you don't. The simplest work around is to adjust your trigger to react to the _creation_ of a "reviewer" object. The blog post above indicates you can't add information from the service request, but that's not the case. (While it's true there's a 2-relationship depth limit in the notification engine, the parent SR is only 2 relationships away from a reviewer object, if your review activity is directly related to the service request).

I posted a more detailed explanation in this thread a couple weeks ago. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c474f7e6-14ac-4170-8c87-c84b9dfb987c/problem-w-email-subscription-for-review-activities?forum=administration

Aaron Croasmun - SCSM Customization Developer. If you have further questions, you can reach me at my gmail address: aaron.croasmun.scsm

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply. Please advise on below points in context to the workaround provided:

- My approvals are configured sequentially, hence why I should notify a reviewer if he is at the 2nd or 3rd level of approval stages, before I have the 1st level of approval is completed?

- In terms of including the SR details in the Notification Template, I got confused, is it possible or not possible ? And if possible, I appreciate your guidance on how to configure a 2-hops relationship from reviewer to SR.

Thanks in advance

BR,

AQ

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:51 PM