Activation error 0xC004C032 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Today I tried to activate two newly installed servers: 1) Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview - it has activated successfully and 2) Windows Server 2012 Standart Evaluation - the activation has completed with this error:

I've already activated this evaluation version many times with no problems, but today it wouldn't activate.

???

P.S. Time/ip/...settings are the same between these two servers, the only difference is the Windows Server's version.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Monday, December 16, 2013 12:56 PM add
    Monday, December 16, 2013 12:42 PM

All replies

• What do you mean when you say you are 'activating' these servers?  They are set up to automatically activate to Microsoft simply by providing access to the internet.

Are you trying to change them from evaluation versions to production versions?

Maybe if you provided a bit more information about what you are doing to 'activate' these servers it would be clearer to us.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:41 PM
  • "They are set up to automatically activate to Microsoft simply by providing access to the internet." - yes, they are. But my server does not activate although it has internet connection. To show you a picture of the activation error I clicked "Activate" link in the server's properties.

If a server can't activate what's the difference how it can't activate - automatically or manually?

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:05 AM
  • any event viewer error ?

www.netblunders.com

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:47 AM
  • "any event viewer error ?" - can't say...I reinstalled Windows Server from MSDN subscription. In such cases there's usually the error in the Event Log stating the same error code (0xC004C032). Perhaps MS does not activate this evaluation version an more...
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Hi Michael,

In order to solve this issue efficiently, I suggest you refer to Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation Centers to get professional support:

Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy Wang

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:52 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Amy, thank you very much!

Regards,

Michael

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Hy Michael,

First of all, i wish you happy new year 2014!

I've get the same issue (0XC004C032) when i tried to activate an evaluation licence of Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition.

Can you tell me if there is any solution?

Thanks in advance 

Zac

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:21 PM
  • As stated above, you don't really activate evaluation copies.  They will automatically activate when you provide connectivity to the internet.  If you are trying to extend the activation period because the initial activation period has expired, you need to re-arm the activation by using the slmgr.vbs -rearm command. This will re-arm the evaluation for another 30 days. You can rearm an evaluation copy a maximum of three times. After that, you need to get a valid license - after all, 270 days should be more than enough time to perform an evaluation.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:30 PM
  • I've installed Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation in 3 XEN-HVM, they all have connectivity to the internet, I can enable RDP and works, but all 3 windows 2012 are shows NOT ACTIVATED

I've get the same issue (0XC004C032) when i tried to click activate, same issue 

Googled and tried many things but no luck

Any one know how to fix it?

Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:10 AM
  • So If I download a Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation ISO from MS and used it to setup a new domain controller in a hurry, then buy a license key, I have to reinstall server 2012? I can evaluate Win Server 2012 but when I get the evaluation installation just the way I want it, I can't license it?

I don't understand

I am having this issue also, I have a license key and I would love to enter it- but I am also receiving this error. I did do what I described above and need to activate this server. I am connected to the internet and have been since installation.

Mitch

Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:58 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Correct - for a domain controller, that is true.  But, the installation of a domain controller is a pretty straightforward installation.  In fact, the greatest majority of people would test 2012 as just another DC in an existing domain, meaning all one needs to do to 'configure' their DC is to add the DS role to an activated server.

Generally, a domain controller 'set up in a hurry' does not have a whole lot on it.  The DS pretty much configures itself.  If you have created group policies, simply back them up and then restore them onto the new system.

But, you also have to remember that the purpose of the evaluation software is to evaluate it - not to put it into production.  Evaluation means that time is built into the process to capture the processes needed to deploy into production and to allocate the time necessary to do so.

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:29 PM
  • I just installed the Windows Server 2012 Evaluation and I'm getting the same error for activation: 0XC004C032.

There seems too be issues with the Microsoft Activation Servers?  Does anybody know if they are aware?

Thanks, Loren

Monday, January 6, 2014 6:38 PM
  • As a follow up, I just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Evaluation and it activates with no problems.

So is this Microsoft's not so subtle way in saying try R2?  NICE. Thanks for wasting my time.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:40 PM
  • That would be great except the application we need to run is not certified or tested on R2. For those out there with flippant answers; MS give us 180day trial, but you must activate within 10 days, since server will to activate we are basically limited to a few days which is not enough and prevented from entering a real key if everything works. The activation help line basically say nothing to do with us, contact the server team, they will not answer any questions without money changing hand. So much for a trial! If they are not supporting trials of this version then don't allow us to download it
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:44 AM
  • Posted this same reply in another string that was lamenting the same issue.

I just downloaded the 2012 evaluation - not the 212 R2 evaluation.  I created a VM.  It activated with no issue.

You might want to investigate your network to see if there is anything being done to prevent access to Windows Update, as I think if you can get to that site you should be able to activate.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:30 PM
  • There is no networking issues as everything else activates just fine.

Microsoft just got around to fixing their issues!  And it did activate on it's own this morning.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to activate now.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Zak, thank you very much! I wish you Happy New Year too!!!

I failed to activate this version... and reinstalled a new (MSDN) version (not evaluation).

:(

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Hi Tim,

"As stated above, you don't really activate evaluation copies.  They will automatically activate when you provide connectivity to the internet. " - now they don't. If they don't activate automatically why I can't click on "Activate" link manually?

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:12 AM
  • "So is this Microsoft's not so subtle way in saying try R2?  NICE. Thanks for wasting my time." - I think that's the only explanation.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:14 AM
  • "Correct - for a domain controller, that is true." - you mean that an evaluation DC can't be promoted to a licensed server by design? I didn't find such information in this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:21 AM
  • I started this post with this:

""Today I tried to activate two newly installed servers: 1) Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview -it has activated successfully and 2) Windows Server 2012 Standart Evaluation - the activation has completed with this error:"

- what network issue can prevent one server from activating whilst allowing the other to activate?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:26 AM
  • So it was the MS issue?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:26 AM