problems after regular windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having problems with installing newer drivers for my hardware. I'm using Acer Laptop, Vista premium 32-bit.

Everything was well until some updates at early feburary (maybe released end jan / early feb), which took a long time (during the 'Configuring Updates' after restarting comp), till a blackout in my area.

The first sign of trouble is when my synaptic touchpad (acer laptop) driver malfunctioned. Attempts to reinstall using both the original backup driver and driver downloaded from the manufacturer website failed. My touchpad is running on default microsoft driver for any USB mouse right now.

another trouble is failure to update my video adapter driver (Intel GMA 950) from both windows update and by downloading from intel website.

I noticed from both installation attempts, the hkcmd.* stuff did pop up from windows defender but not everytime.

Please assist me in solving this problem.

Friday, March 14, 2008 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As the issues began to occur after updates had been installed, you can try to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

System Restore

==========

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click System Restore.

3. Select "Choose a different restore point" and click Next.

4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5. Click Finish and System Restore will restart the computer to apply these changes.

After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

Note: System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. It does not affect personal files, such as e mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If the issue persists, please let me know the brands and models of your computer, touchpad and video card. In addition, please let me know the exact wording of the error messages when installing the touchpad and the video card drivers.

To get the issue resolved in the a timely, I suggest also contacting Acer for direct assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:28 AM
  • Thanks for the help.

I brought the problem to Acer. performed a format as they recommanded after them trying to fix it.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As the issues began to occur after updates had been installed, you can try to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

System Restore

==========

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click System Restore.

3. Select "Choose a different restore point" and click Next.

4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5. Click Finish and System Restore will restart the computer to apply these changes.

After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

Note: System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. It does not affect personal files, such as e mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If the issue persists, please let me know the brands and models of your computer, touchpad and video card. In addition, please let me know the exact wording of the error messages when installing the touchpad and the video card drivers.

To get the issue resolved in the a timely, I suggest also contacting Acer for direct assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:28 AM
  • hi,

thanks for the help. i'll try do a system restore.

thank you.

i could not find any restore points before early, or even mid feb. probably because of the many updates from then till now.

i also found the updates installed during that period in the add/remove in control panel. would uninstalling them solve the problem?

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to uninstall these updates first. If the issue persists, it indicates that the issue is not caused by the updates. Then you can restore the system to the state before the issue occurs and check the result.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Thanks for the help.

I brought the problem to Acer. performed a format as they recommanded after them trying to fix it.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

I refer to the problem I had as descripted above.

The problem has been fixed since then after formating.

However, the problem did came back after another update and immediatly after that, I did a system restore, which fixed problem fortunately.

I also noticed a update, KB938371, that was there during the previous problem update, and it is again in this update.

The update is supposed to 'enable future updates to install sucessfully in all edition of Windows Vista', but it did the opposite.

Please look into the problem as it might affect other users.

Thank you.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Press f8 While computer shows start up screen.

Choose Safe mode option

Boot the Computer in Safemode.

After windows loaded successfullly in safe mode.

go to device manager --> HID-devices --> Unknown Device

search for drivers.

Install driver manually locating the file pointing to  C:/Windows/Winsxs.

it may work even without reboot otherwise reboot the machine.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:36 AM
  • computer keeps configuring updates 1 of 3 then runs thru the whole cycle again and again after restarting and repairing etc.  So can't just restart since it goes into that configuring thing again.

Friday, November 7, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Holl sirs,

Im using Compac Laptop Presario v 6000 model with windows vista.computer keeps configuring updates 1 & 2 of 3 then runs thru the whole cycle again and again after restarting and repairing etc. It completes stage 2 of 3 and then it Shut Down. Again its checking for Start up Troubles And Repair. It shows that Windows will fix the start up Problem and will restart. and when it restarts, showing configuring.it repeats for the past 14 hours. So can't just restart since it goes into that configuring thing again.

And then I tried for safe (by f8 )mode to open my system. but again it resumes its configuring Updates. kindly advice me for this Trouble.

Thanks And regards.

Arun.G

Friday, November 14, 2008 5:56 AM