none
Combine excel files from a folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi : I am trying to combine a number of  excel files from a folder ( Data - Get Data - From File - From Folder). After I click on the down arrows in the Content column, in the wizard it only shows one file not all the files as per below. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thursday, June 4, 2020 9:57 AM

Answers

• This Is how it works. It is a wizard to help you through the process. You teach the wizard how to process a single file, the first one in the folder.  PQ then turns that query into a function and executes the function for every file in the folder. 

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:17 AM
  • Hi Awal

Hope you're doing well

You don't do anything wrong :) You've just not well understood how the wizard works. Before combining the Binaries in [Content] it asks you to select one of the file as a "template" (Sample File) and by default the 1st is suggested

Si, if Apr-20RosterReconcilation is representative of the other workbooks, just keep following the process and you should be fine

Now, keep in mind that all your workbooks should have the same setup otherwise you will have to use a custom combine process

Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:28 AM

All replies

• This Is how it works. It is a wizard to help you through the process. You teach the wizard how to process a single file, the first one in the folder.  PQ then turns that query into a function and executes the function for every file in the folder. 

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:17 AM
  • Hi Awal

Hope you're doing well

You don't do anything wrong :) You've just not well understood how the wizard works. Before combining the Binaries in [Content] it asks you to select one of the file as a "template" (Sample File) and by default the 1st is suggested

Si, if Apr-20RosterReconcilation is representative of the other workbooks, just keep following the process and you should be fine

Now, keep in mind that all your workbooks should have the same setup otherwise you will have to use a custom combine process

Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:28 AM
  • Hi Lz: For some reason, I didn't get any notification of the responses I received. Hence the delay in getting back to you. It makes sense what you said. In the past or in the previous of excel this step didn't existed.

Correct me if I am wrong when I combine all the csv files from the folder I think it doesn't do sample file step like the excel files. 

Cheers

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:54 AM
  • Thanks Matt. It makes sense now.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:56 AM