none
Migrating a E2K13 server in one domain to a E2K10 setup in another domain

Question

• Hi All,

Due to the fact that we bought a new company we need to migrate the E2K13 Exchange setup (The mailboxes) to our main E2K10 setup.

Now the migration of the mailboxes are easy. But due to the fact that we can't migrate all mailboxes at once we need to keep the mail flow running. And the E2K13 Exchange server will be receiving the mail from the Internet. So the question is how to be able to deliver the mail to the mailboxes that we already moved to the E2K10 enviroment in the other domain (the migrated users will still have their SMTP domain attached to them) and also ensure that the users can send mails to all users in both enviroments ??

/Strunk

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:00 AM

Answers

• You can enable sharing Free/Busy information between the two forests, so when the user is migrated to the target forest, he will still be able to check the free/busy information of other users in the source forest and vice versa.

Please checkout this informative blog post that will assist you to step-wise to accomplish this task in more proficient way : http://careexchange.in/cross-forest-migration-guide-exchange-2010-to-exchange-2010/

You may also get help from this Exchange migration solution which allows migration in co-existence mode to get two-way synchronization from source to destination and vice-versa.

Thanks,

• Marked as answer by JanStrunk Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:48 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Strunk,

According to your description, my understanding is that :

1. Mailboxes had been migrated to E2K10 domain, but user accounts still located in E2K13 domain,

2. You want the emails which are sent to E2K13 users to be delivered to the mailboxes which had been located in E2K10

3. You want that E2K13 users can send emails to all users whatever in E2K10 or E2K13. 

Right? If any misunderstanding, please feel free let me know.

Based on my knowledge, we can consider using linked mailbox in E2K10, to associate the migrated mailboxes with the user accounts in E2K13 domain. More details see: Create a Linked Mailbox.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Hi Nico,

Thanks for your input.

It is not quite what will happen. I hope this will make it clear what we need to do:

1. Users and mailboxes will both be moved from the E2K13 domain to the E2K10 domain.

2. The move will take up to 4 weeks (do to a large number of users).

3. As the move will take that long we need to ensure that mail will be able to flow between the 2 domains as users from the source domain will exist in both domains during the move time (the E2K13 domain).

4. Mails to the E2K13 domain coming in from the Internet will hit the E2K13 Exchange servers so we need to ensure that mails also can be delivered to users that are already moved to the E2K10 domain.

5. We will setup domain trust between the 2 domains as we need to access resources from both domains.

6. When all users are moved the E2K13 domain will be shutdown.

/Strunk

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Thanks - that was exactly what i was looking for.

/Strunk

Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:49 PM