Is FAST ESP 5.3 equivalent to FAST for SP2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

as far as I know FAST for SP2010 cannot live without being connected to a SP 2010 farm. FAST ESP can live autarkic being quiried by various technologies.

Is FAST for SP2010 as powerful as FAST ESP or only a light version? What are the major differences?

Thanks

Sven

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

FS4SP is based on FAST ESP, but has it's own codebase. Engine wise it's more or less the same and equally powerful, but it has sort of been locked down. Either by not exposing functionality or by stating you should not edit files. One of the most notable differences is that there is no support for writing Python stages in the pipeline (although you can do it if you know how), but you can still hook in your own stages which are .exe call outs. Also you have typically only one collection and one pipeline, both pre-set.

Instead of comparing notes you should do a more pragmatic approach and look at what capabilities of FAST ESP you need, and are you able to leverage the same capabilities with FS4SP. In most cases you will be able to do so (from my experiences), but there are things which is not easily doable.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/

• Marked as answer by Sven W Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:34 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

FS4SP is based on FAST ESP, but has it's own codebase. Engine wise it's more or less the same and equally powerful, but it has sort of been locked down. Either by not exposing functionality or by stating you should not edit files. One of the most notable differences is that there is no support for writing Python stages in the pipeline (although you can do it if you know how), but you can still hook in your own stages which are .exe call outs. Also you have typically only one collection and one pipeline, both pre-set.

Instead of comparing notes you should do a more pragmatic approach and look at what capabilities of FAST ESP you need, and are you able to leverage the same capabilities with FS4SP. In most cases you will be able to do so (from my experiences), but there are things which is not easily doable.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/

• Marked as answer by Sven W Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:34 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to your book ;-)

Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:33 PM